Answered

For those reading charge controller with Raspberry Pi, what about battery monitor?

In the system with Renogy components I bought with my sprinter van, I noticed that the 12v DC loads are all coming off the Rover 60a charge controller, and the inverter is wired directly to the batteries.  According to the manual this is how it's supposed to be done.  I am using a Raspberry Pi to read the data from the rover charge controller where I can get a lot of metrics, but the true load being pulled (DC + AC) is not possible.   Are any of you doing additional monitoring via something DIY or off the shelf that could also give the raspberry pi access to the battery information, including the total load draw?

• Most people that want to know how much power is being drawn from the battery use a shunt.

Personally, the system that I monitor has Outback FX inverters, which are monitored as well as the Rover. The data from that inverter can be used to tell how much power is being used. Of course, if we attached another DC load without monitoring that, then it would be off. This is why a shunt is pretty helpful.

I'd like to install a shunt on our system, but the ones with good monitoring are pretty expensive and not really necessary for us since we already know how much power we're using from the Outback FX.

Some newer Renogy inverters might give you more data, but I think most of Renogy's inverters aren't able to be monitored.

Login or Signup to post a comment