Answered

Help with buying components for van solar setup

Hello, I hope everyone is well! I have several questions about the solar setup I want to build for my van. I want to know if these products will work together and what other components I might need. Here is the general plan:

-Two 100 WATT 12 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL (COMPACT DESIGN) SKU: RNG-100D-SS (wired in parallel)

- One 15 Amp MC4 WATERPROOF IN-LINE FUSE HOLDER W/ FUSE SKU: RNG-CNCT-FUSE

- One DEEP CYCLE HYBRID GEL BATTERY 12 VOLT 200AH SKU: RBT200GEL12-G1

- One ROVER LI 20 AMP MPPT SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER SKU: RNG-CTRL-RVR20

- One BT-1 BLUETOOTH MODULE (BACK ORDER) SKU: RNG-CTRL-BT-1

- One 700W 12V PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER SKU: RNG-INVT-700-12V-P2

- 10 AWG wires between solar panels and charge controller

- 20 ANL FUSE SET W/ FUSE between charge controller and battery SKU: RNG-SET-ANL

- 100 ANL FUSE SET W/ FUSE between battery and inverter   SKU: RNG-SET-ANL

Attached is a diagram of my system for your reference.

Questions:

1) Would the charge controller and fuses I selected still work if I wanted to use 3 (instead of 2) of the solar panels listed above? Or would I need a 40A charge controller and different size fuses? I plan on wiring the solar panels in parallel.

2) If I do use 2 solar panels in parallel, is the charge controller I selected the best choice or is there a less expensive option that I could go with and still be able to attach the BT-1 Bluetooth Module?

3) Do I need to vent the Gel battery to the outside of the van?

4) What size wiring do I need between the components? The 10 AWG wiring is already installed for the solar panels to meet the charge controller. All components besides the solar panels will be within 3 feet of each other.

5) Is 700W Inverter a proper size for this size system?

6) Are my fuses the proper sizes? Do I need a fuse between the charge controller and the Maxxair Fan that will be wired to it (see diagram attached)?

Thanks for your help with this!! Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!!

Jordan

IMG2846.JPG
(1.91 MB)
  • 1. The maximum wattage the 20A Rover can handle in a 12V battery bank is 260W, so we would recommend going with at least the 30A Rover if you plan on going with (x3) 100W panels or more. As far as the wiring, unless shading is an issue we would recommend to connect the panels in series, the MPPT charge controller will be more efficient with that setup. 

2. If you do decide to go with (x2) panels in parallel, this would be the best cost-efficient MPPT controller to go with.

3. No Maintenance or venting is required on the Gel batteries

4. From panels > controller > battery, 10 AWG is perfect, for the inverter we would recommend going with 4 AWG wire. 

5. The inverter depends on the loads you plan on running, as long as you don't exceed 700W of usage at one time this inverter will be perfect.

6. Fuse sizes are correct, fuses are not necessary so it's up to you if you want to put one inline with the Maxxair fan.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

• I'm about to do similar to a van.  Wouldn't the inline fuse between the panels and solar controller need to either be bigger or have two closer to the panels before the parallel junction?  (I'm looking at the OP's attached diagram)   2x 100W 12V panels should max out at roughly 8.33A and in parallel they should hit ~16A?  Wouldn't that blow that fuse on a nice sunny day at optimum power?

• Never mind my question.  I see the article.  The panels are outputting ~18V at optimum, and about 5-6A, so the 15A is the right size for 2 panels in parallel.

Login or Signup to post a comment