Answered

LED indication for Equalization Cycle on a Wanderer 30A Controller

I have the Wanderer 30A PWM Charge Controller that came with an Amazon 100W Solar Kit Bundle. 

The manual does not identify any PV/Batt indicator light combination which represents the normal function of the periodic "Equalization" charge mode. Nor does the Status Troubleshooting section describe the function as normal as opposed to differentiating any otherwise adverse condition of ’over-voltage' or 'over-heating' outside the cycle. Neither can I find any indication of whether the unit is 'programmable' vs auto / self-regulating. 

I have no idea what led indication pattern might be related to the 'Equalization' cycle vs adverse conditions and no control over when it happens, so how am I supposed to 'make sure' the battery is in a no-load state during, or know when the cycle is active so that it may be properly monitored?

What light pattern indicates the cycle end?

The 2 FLA batteries are new. Would the controller even use this cycle yet?

At this point I’m afraid to leave the system on without babysitting it.

Twice already, I've encountered the PV led flashing fast with PV input voltage at around 20v at the controller terminals. This does not exceed the max 25V PV output, but does exceed the normal specs of a 14-16V operating range, including the Equalization cycle, while showing a throughput out to battery holding at 14.5ish.

Not sure what’s happening, I used a manual disconnect to cut current from the PV to the controller and have to touch the controller button to stop the led from flashing.

Is that the Equalizer cycle operating that I truncated, have I cancelled an adverse condition, or is it just normal because I cannot tell from the manual’s treatment of LED flash combinations.

• you should not be getting the fast flashing and I suggest you contact their support for a replacement. This has nothing to do with equalization which you will likely never know when that happens. one reason for disconnecting loads is equalz is a higher voltage but with these controllers it is not much higher (14.8v vs 14.6v temp corrected), some electronics don't like TRUE equal voltages of say 16v. Equalization is supposed to be ever 28 days!

1 person likes this
  •  We equalize our system with a generator that produces AC power. Our inverters are the main devices drawing power.

We have the Rover configured to not equalize at all and just do it primarily with the generator. I wish there was a way to set the rover to equalize on a certain day, but it seems like it's only automatic.

If your devices don't draw much power, you probably don't need to worry about there being a small load while the Rover is equalizing. If you do have devices that draw a lot of power, then it might be better to just have the equalize mode be something you initiate yourself (using another charge controller). I'm not sure if there's a better answer to this. I'd be interested to know what other people do when they equalize their batteries.

•  Looking at the manual (https://www.renogy.com/template/files/Manuals/Rover%20203040%20Manual.pdf)

If the PV Indicator is "White Fast Flashing" the controller is undergoing the equalization stage (page 19)

• on the wanderer 30 fast PV flashing is PV overvoltage!

•  OK, that makes sense why he couldn't find anything in the Wanderer manual. I looked at he's right, there's no way to actually tell if the Wanderer is in EQ mode. To for sure know if it's equalizing, you would have to either buy the bluetooth module or setup DIY monitoring.

If you have another way to check the battery voltage, that might also work. If the battery voltage is way over the boost threshold, you can assume that it's going into equalize instead of boost (I think Renogy products replace boost with EQ, but I could be wrong). And if you see the battery voltage is close to the EQ threshold, you can also assume it's in EQ. Not ideal, but will probably work.

1 person likes this
  • Joahua,

This older Wanderer model has no interface for a the BT module and no programming options. Without a clearer differentiation between EQ and adverse conditions, I'll have no choice but to replace it. I might go with the Voyager which appears to have programmable thresholds better matched to this panel's normal operating range without triggering cutoffs and warning conditions like the original Wanderer. 

• Jeffrey,

You are correct. However if you need programmable features then I would recommend the Rover controllers with or without bluetooth. The Voyager also has preset battery voltages and period of automatic equalization like the Wanderer. 

• Thank you for your reply. 

However, my main concern at the moment is that the controller LEDs slip into 'PV in Over-Voltage' every morning, even with the PV voltage reading at the CC at about 13-16V within an hour of sunrise.

Is there a defect in this controller?

• Jeffrey,

If the Wanderer controller is giving an error but the meter readings seem normal, please contact us at support.renogy.com and submit a ticket or you can call in at 909-287-7111

Login or Signup to post a comment