Answered

Installing a solar system on a van

Hi.i am wondering what is needed to install a solar system on a van used for weekend camping. I was thinking of using my coffee maker..a heater..and a 2 burner stove ..maybe a toaster oven...along with lights and usb ports. Any suggestions..Ty.
  • Forgot the electric cooler too I'm thinking 160watt solar panel..mttp controller...lithium battery..and a 2000 watt inverter.. just guessing..from what I have read. I also want to be able to put a kayak on the van too..if possible.... So room is limited.. If someone has any suggestions...is the above too much..or ok. Your thoughts.ty.
  • Energy audit. You need to know what all that usage adds up to, Think or different heating/cooking choices like propane!

• Carol,

Make a list of all the appliances you intend to power off solar. Jot down their rated watts/amps, jot down how many hours a day the item is typically used. This information will allow us to size a system for you w/ battery bank recommendation. With limited space and assuming 50% depth of discharge, a 160W panel should typically charge up about 50Ah in a day assuming 4.5 hours of good sun. 

Login or Signup to post a comment