Answered

MTS-CB brackets and adhesive WARNING

Posted by dana

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:16pm

Just a heads-up that your MTS-CB installation instructions should include a note to pretty aggressively rough-up gluing surfaces with course sandpaper. They're too smooth. I used a scotchbrite on all surfaces and Sikaflex 252 adhesive, but still had two solar panels blow off and get destroyed. The adhesive came loose between the MTS and the panel on all 6 locations. I'm bummed. This will be $$$$ to replace. I just noticed they were missing as I was headed out of town.

Thanks
-Dana

Posted by tattoo

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:04pm

dana Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:16pm dana said:

Just a heads-up that your MTS-CB installation instructions should include a note to pretty aggressively rough-up gluing surfaces with course sandpaper. They're too smooth. I used a scotchbrite on all surfaces and Sikaflex 252 adhesive, but still had two solar panels blow off and get destroyed. The adhesive came loose between the MTS and the panel on all 6 locations. I'm bummed. This will be $$$$ to replace. I just noticed they were missing as I was headed out of town.

Thanks
-Dana

I really doubt that any glue would hold a panel on a roof for very long going down the road... To me that's very dangerous for people on the road behind you..... They should be bolted down or removed during transporting and reinstalled when your not in motion....

Posted by v10

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:19pm

I think if you were to use 100 grit to scuff all surfaces and let it cure for about 10 days you MIGHT be ok for while

I would never trust it nor would I trust being behind someone with glued on panels or in front of them for that matter

Nothing but a projectile if you rear end the car in front of you

Bolt them down

Posted by dana

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:30pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:04pm tattoo said:

dana Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:16pm dana said:

Thanks
-Dana

I really doubt that any glue would hold a panel on a roof for very long going down the road... To me that's very dangerous for people on the road behind you..... They should be bolted down or removed during transporting and reinstalled when your not in motion....

Agreed. I just purchased what was recommended for the application of the rooftop mount. I sourced the specified Sikaflex adhesive (not cheap) because I wanted to be sure they would stay on. I ride motorbikes and am hyper-aware of people not strapping down their loads, which makes this all the more distressing. Anyway, that's the reason for my post ... when I reinstall I will definitely be screw-mounting. Thx

Posted by tattoo

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:32pm

v10 Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:19pm v10 said:

I think if you were to use 100 grit to scuff all surfaces and let it cure for about 10 days you MIGHT be ok for while

I would never trust it nor would I trust being behind someone with glued on panels or in front of them for that matter

Nothing but a projectile if you rear end the car in front of you

Bolt them down

I ride motorcycles and I have for 45+ years and I makes me cringe to think that someone would even think that glue would hold a panel on a roof of a motor home or camper..... Drill a hole in the roof that's the way to go...

Posted by tattoo

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:34pm

dana Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:30pm dana said:

Agreed. I just purchased what was recommended for the application of the rooftop mount.

If they are selling them to be glued on a roof they are fools and should go out of business....

Posted by v10

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:48pm

The best place for sealer is your local RV or boat parts store.

Tell them you have to drill holes in your roof and they will fix you right up.

Renogys cable entry box gives no accommodation for screws so they need to be glued on.

There is no chance of it becoming a projectile because both cables hold it also.

The sika takes a very long time to cure and I needed the van mobile so I used a product called 'white marine tex'. Its stronger than the box, maybe even the sheet metal.

I also ride and any one encouraging people to glue solar panels on their roof and drive on the highway needs to rethink that idea.

Please

Posted by dana

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:20am

v10 Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:48pm v10 said:

The best place for sealer is your local RV or boat parts store.

Tell them you have to drill holes in your roof and they will fix you right up.

Renogys cable entry box gives no accommodation for screws so they need to be glued on.

There is no chance of it becoming a projectile because both cables hold it also.

The sika takes a very long time to cure and I needed the van mobile so I used a product called 'white marine tex'. Its stronger than the box, maybe even the sheet metal.

I also ride and any one encouraging people to glue solar panels on their roof and drive on the highway needs to rethink that idea.

Please

Thanks. Yes, the Sikaflex 252 adhesive Renogy recommends came from a local marine supply. There are some pretty high-tech adhesives out there, so I was assuming this was appropriate for the job. Remember, even some cars are assembled with adhesives rather than welds these days, so the idea isn't that crazy. That said, I'll be using screwed mounts AND adhesive for this next round. We get some pretty serious cross winds in the Utah desert.

I used the Sikaflex 252 for the cable entry box and finished it with some self-leveling sealant, and that seemed to work well.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:04am

dana Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:20am dana said:

Remember, even some cars are assembled with adhesives rather than welds these days, so the idea isn't that crazy.

Yes you are correct... But the difference is air doesn't get under a fender or what ever it's closed in.... If you have a wreck and the fender is hanging out so that the air can get under it, Even it will blow off the car....

If Renogy is telling people it's ok to glue a panel on top of a moving vehicle I see a lawsuit in their future....

Posted by bupkis

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:09am

amsolar must be due a law suit but none of their mounts have left the roof

Roof Attachment
Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay.

Posted by v10

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:36am

Good point.

A friend owns a body shop and said he hasn't welded a panel in years

2 part epoxy and no heat distortion from the welder

Personally I would glue a quarter panel but screw a solar panel

Posted by grumpy

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:49pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:34pm tattoo said:

dana Avatar

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:30pm dana said:

Agreed. I just purchased what was recommended for the application of the rooftop mount.

If they are selling them to be glued on a roof they are fools and should go out of business....

Well tattoo, guess you just lost all your brownie points with Renogy because the MTS-CB mounts sold by Renogy are designed for drill free application. I have my MTS mounts glued to the roof and used screws to mount the panels.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:15pm

grumpy Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:49pm grumpy said:

Well tattoo, guess you just lost all your brownie points with Renogy because the MTS-CB mounts sold by Renogy are designed for drill free application. I have my MTS mounts glued to the roof and used screws to mount the panels.

If I do then so be it.... My life as well as others are worth way more than brownie points to any company.... If they are glued all the way around the panel to the roof that would be ok.... There are way to many ways for it to fail for it to be safe....  LOL Hell I bet they didn't even include detailed instructions to show how to do it, they don't with anything else...... If so that's a first....

I bet the same guy that came up with the idea to glue panels with just 4 4" spots to the roof of a vehicle is the same guy that decided that a wire lug on a temperature sensor would be a good idea....

Do people even think about this shit before they say that's a great idea???

Posted by grumpy

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:52pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:15pm tattoo said:

grumpy Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:49pm grumpy said:

If I do then so be it.... My life as well as others are worth way more than brownie points to any company.... If they are glued all the way around the panel to the roof that would be ok.... There are way to many ways for it to fail for it to be safe....  LOL Hell I bet they didn't even include detailed instructions to show how to do it, they don't with anything else...... If so that's a first....

I bet the same guy that came up with the idea to glue panels with just 4 4" spots to the roof of a vehicle is the same guy that decided that a wire lug on a temperature sensor would be a good idea....

Do people even think about this shit before they say that's a great idea???

LOL, All about the mighty $.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:39pm

grumpy Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:52pm grumpy said:

LOL, All about the mighty $.

Yep you got that right.......

Posted by bupkis

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:06pm

RTFM! why put stuff in the manual that folks don't read.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:46pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:06pm bupkis said:

Because it's there in case people might want to read it...

Posted by playersz28

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:29am

If you depended on Renogy manuals to guide you through the installation of a system you'd be stuck looking into a packing box and not knowing where to go next. :)

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:38am

playersz28 Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:29am playersz28 said:

If you depended on Renogy manuals to guide you through the installation of a system you'd be stuck looking into a packing box and not knowing where to go next. :)

Yep that's what I've said many many times before.....

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:33am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:46pm tattoo said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:06pm bupkis said:

Because it's there in case people might want to read it...

but you refuse

renogy.boards.net/thread/173/change-equalizing-voltage-60a-commander

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:57am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:33am bupkis said:

but you refuse

Nope not at all... Like I said I missed it..... I've looked at the manual and other sites many times... Especially when you give answers in riddles like you so often do.......

Isn't this form here to ask questions? At least that's why I thought it's here......

Or is it just here to riddle me this Batman?

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:09am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:57am tattoo said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:33am bupkis said:

but you refuse

Nope not at all... But I do reuse fuses if they are still in great shape...... Like I said I missed it..... I've looked at the manual and other sites many times... Especially when you give answers in riddles like you so often do.......

there is no need to spoon feed when it is in the manual.

So instead of looking up battery type user you just say I don't have that, well you do have that and it is documented.

fusing is to prevent an over current situation that the wire can not handle, 10g can handle 30A forever, an over current may cause the wire to overheat and cause a fire, with mppt your input current is ~10-12A max (2 5A strings) and the output is 40-60A max, the input and output wire should be different size so one would never fuse a 10g wire with 60A fuse!

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:16am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:09am bupkis said:

there is no need to spoon feed when it is in the manual.

Why not? When so many things that Renogy sells don't even have a manual......

So far... I've bought at lease 20 items from Renogy and only 3 things had a manual with it and it wasn't the two CC I bought....

Yes I know they are on line but that's not the point... Even then most answers are vague like your answers....

Also since you brought it up....  There is 3 things that you have to change to change the Eq setting not 2 like you said... So I guess you need to read the manual....

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:23am

bupkis Avatar

So instead of looking up battery type user you just say I don't have that, well you do have that and it is documented.

Damn Bird you sure are drinking awful early aren't you.....

If you will look back I said I found it after one of your riddle answers.... There is no user unless you switch it off of flooded.... But I found it without your help.....

The Admin answered my question not you....

Now back to the OP question....

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:25am

bupkis Avatar

fusing is to prevent an over current situation that the wire can not handle, 10g can handle 30A forever, an over current may cause the wire to overheat and cause a fire, with mppt your input current is ~10-12A max (2 5A strings) and the output is 40-60A max, the input and output wire should be different size so one would never fuse a 10g wire with 60A fuse!

LOL What the Hell does that have to do with gluing panels on a roof of a motor home?

Drugs are bad OK?

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:25am

here what I typed go read it, it is in the manual

'you set what at 15.4v there are two voltage sets that need to be above eq voltage.

that's 3 voltage set pts to change!'

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:28am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:25am tattoo said:

bupkis Avatar

LOL What the Hell does that have to do with gluing panels on a roof of a motor home?

Drugs are bad OK?

what does reusing fuses have to with gluing 

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:32am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:28am bupkis said:

what does reusing fuses have to with gluing 

I have no idea??? Your the one that said refuse I was making light of your post.....

What's the answer Batman?

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:37am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:25am bupkis said:

'you set what at 15.4v there are two voltage sets that need to be above eq voltage.

This is a correct answer not your half ass riddle answer....

So you would have to change Charge Limit, then Over-Voltage Reconnect, then Equalize Charge. For example:

Over-Voltage Disconnect: 16V
Charge Limit: 15.4V
Over-Voltage Reconnect: 15.4V
Equalize Charge: 15.1

In that order.

-Renogy Team

Posted by Admin

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:43am

Actual instructions for the MTS-CB will differ on application and environment. This is why we can only provide general guidelines for putting together some of these components. That said, we will take this experience into consideration for future product improvements. Our only recommendation is if you have a case to discuss, please contact the technical support team.

This is a snippet from the manual:

NOTE: These instructions are to serve as a simple guideline for installing the corner
bracket mounts. Actual installations may vary with adhesive type or roof type. Consult
your adhesive manufacturer for proper instructions of ABS plastic to a user defined roof
material.

Recommended tools to have before installation:
 Assembly Adhesive (Sikaflex-252)
 Caulking gun
 Masking Tape
 Hand Pads (Scotchbrite Pads)
 Spirit Level
 Tape Measure

All the best,
-Renogy Team

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:07am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:37am tattoo said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:25am bupkis said:

So you would have to change Charge Limit, then Over-Voltage Reconnect, then Equalize Charge. For example:

In that order.

-Renogy Team

before that spoon fed you this

'high voltage disconnect needs to be set higher than charging limit voltage which needs to be set higher than eq voltage.' :)

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:25am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:07am bupkis said:

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:37am tattoo said:

In that order.

-Renogy Team

before that spoon fed you this

'high voltage disconnect needs to be set higher than charging limit voltage which needs to be set higher than eq voltage.' :)

Like I said Renogy answered my question not you.... Your just saying what Renogy said first.....

By the way bird many on here have in their avatar there solar set up..... Why don't you post pics of your solar walk way lights? LOL

Posted by bupkis

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:12am

more lies

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:46pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:12am bupkis said:

more lies

You should know your the one that said that's all you had on the other forum in the beginning... If it's a lie it's your lie.....

But you are the king of cut and paste.....

Posted by grumpy

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:42pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:46pm tattoo said:

bupkis Avatar

more lies

You should know your the one that said that's all you had on the other forum in the beginning... If it's a lie it's your lie.....

But you are the king of cut and paste.....

Getting back to gluing, here are the spec sheets for Sikaflex-252

Attachments:

0252243-90916.pdf (190.76 KB)

SikaFlex 252.pdf (113.57 KB)

Posted by tattoo

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:49pm

grumpy Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:42pm grumpy said:

Thank you..... I've been trying to go back to gluing...

the attachments aren't working...

Posted by tattoo

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:58am

bupkis Avatar

more lies

Yep more lies...

Bird question about Renogy 60 Amp Commander MPPT Solar
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:56am
Post Options
Post by rabird on Aug 26, 2017 at 7:56am

My landscape lights (5x1wx3hrs/night) and 7ah batt don't need mppt, nor does a 200 watt RV system, having some sort of display is required for me.
My first $8 controller was fine, then $40 with display was just as fine and now the $50 grape with blue tooth, all three have default set points that suit me.

Now back to the glue in question...

Posted by grumpy

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:15pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:49pm tattoo said:

grumpy Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:42pm grumpy said:

Check your download folder, for some reason they don't open online

Posted by tattoo

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:19pm

grumpy Avatar

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:15pm grumpy said:

tattoo Avatar

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:49pm tattoo said:

Check your download folder, for some reason they don't open online

I will do that, Thank you...
  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment