Answered

Voltage discrepancy

Posted by playersz28

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:16am

I'm running a Renogy Rover 40A controller currently. I checked the battery voltage with my meter and it's .20-.25v higher than what the CC is reporting. With it currently i boost mode the CC says 14.8V and my meter shows 15.00-15.05v. Don't recall actually checking the battery voltage when the CC was charging before.

Is there a reason for this? Something wrong with the CC?

With TempComp it could be higher as it's currently reporting 5C for battery temp but that doesn't give a reason for the CC reporting the wrong battery voltage.

Posted by bupkis

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:50am

temp correction (-3mV/°C/2V (default)) @5c is +.36v

having mismatch measurements is always a problem, which one is correct, are any correct?

I hope it is not to much to worry about but you could create a USER battery profile and make adjustments.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:30am

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:16am playersz28 said:

I'm running a Renogy Rover 40A controller currently. I checked the battery voltage with my meter and it's .20-.25v higher than what the CC is reporting. With it currently i boost mode the CC says 14.8V and my meter shows 15.00-15.05v. Don't recall actually checking the battery voltage when the CC was charging before.

With TempComp it could be higher as it's currently reporting 5C for battery temp but that doesn't give a reason for the CC reporting the wrong battery voltage.

I wouldn't worry about it... The only one I would worry about is the one that your meter shows....

Posted by playersz28

Nov 4, 2018 at 12:52pm

If the CC is going to report a battery voltage it should at least be the actual number and not it's target number. I see that the Temp comp is in there but it's showing the batt volts as pre-comp rather than actual. That means that the voltage on the LCD and phone app is bogus.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:00pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 4, 2018 at 12:52pm playersz28 said:

If the CC is going to report a battery voltage it should at least be the actual number and not it's target number. I see that the Temp comp is in there but it's showing the batt volts as pre-comp rather than actual. That means that the voltage on the LCD and phone app is bogus.

Yep it's more than likely bogus or just close...... But with that said my voltage is up and down all the time because of charging and my 24/7 draw so close is good enough for me.... The only thing that I really worry or care about is what my voltage is first thing in the AM.....

Posted by bupkis

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:24pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 4, 2018 at 12:52pm playersz28 said:

It does not report target voltage, it reports actual voltage but it could be off and/or your voltmeter may be off.

if full river wants 14.7 and you are using 14.4 but actually getting 14.7 then celebrate!(this assumes the CC is off and your voltmeter is dead ON!)

Posted by tattoo

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:17pm

Yes sir what the voltmeter says is all that matters......

I have a digital volt display that is usually dead on what the voltage actually is...

Posted by playersz28

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:32pm

No draw on the system (RV). Three meters all give the same battery voltage (they're right). Rover display and BT connected app both show 14.8v

Means that in order to know a true battery voltage from the data feed out of the Rover I need to calc it using the voltage reported and adding in temp comp

Posted by tattoo

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:33pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:32pm playersz28 said:

Means that in order to know a true battery voltage from the data feed out of the Rover I need to calc it using the voltage reported and adding in temp comp

Yes sir that makes sense.... I'm sure that's what the CC is trying to do.... I would like to know what the Admin has to say about what the CC is doing?

Posted by bupkis

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:44pm

playersz28 Avatar

No draw on the system (RV). Three meters all give the same battery voltage (they're right). Rover display and BT connected app both show 14.8v

No, the data feed should be battery voltage as measured by the CC, yes it could be inaccurate

what three meters? the CC only has one for battery voltage and the BT uses that data.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:05am

bupkis Avatar

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:44pm bupkis said:

playersz28 Avatar

No, the data feed should be battery voltage as measured by the CC, yes it could be inaccurate

what three meters? the CC only has one for battery voltage and the BT uses that data.

I have 2 digital meters installed in the RV plus my DVM. The 14.8v being reported isn't what the Rover is measuring off the battery, it couldn't be that inaccurate.

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:26am

What is it measuring? I do not follow your logic.

What about earlier in the day during BULK, when the battery has not reached max voltage, what is the CC measuring and what is the difference with all these meters if any?

Posted by tattoo

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:53am

What is the voltage first thing in the AM with all the meter devices....

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:12am

Time of day and charge mode doesn't affect the discrepancy. It seems to be that the mismatch between what the Rover displays on the LCD & reports to the BT app vs what the actual battery voltage measures is pretty much the temp comp value. I just measured directly on the Rover battery terminals with a DVM and the got 14.32 vs 14.1 on the LCD. The 14.1 might be rounded so no way to know what the number is to 2 dec places. This means that the number that is provided by the CC, either on the display or over the data port, can't be used as the actual battery voltage.

When I looked at the temp comp charging for the batteries the actual battery voltage is correct for the current temp.

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:25am

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:12am playersz28 said:

When I looked at the temp comp charging for the batteries the actual battery voltage is correct for the current temp.

where did you look?

coincidence, yes your CC is off by that much.

Posted by Admin

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:44am

playersz28 Avatar

The function of your controller seems to be normal. There will be certain accuracy/inaccuracies percentages in the reporting of the voltage due to line loss, temperature compensation, the measuring equipment and also that the controller reports the digits to the tenths decimal place. However, the overall charge controller function is not affected by the reported measurements percentages and has been tested to accurately charge your battery.

-Renogy Team

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:21am

Admin Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:44am Admin said:

playersz28 Avatar

The function of your controller seems to be normal. There will be certain accuracy/inaccuracies percentages in the reporting of the voltage due to line loss, temperature compensation, the measuring equipment and also that the controller reports the digits to the tenths decimal place. However, the overall charge controller function is not affected by the reported measurements percentages and has been tested to accurately charge your battery.

-Renogy Team

Dearest Renogy Team/admin

That seems to be mumbo jumbo.
The question of concern is does the battery voltage readout supposed to be battery voltage as supported by the manual or some 'target' voltage suggested by the OP?

Posted by Admin

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:46am

bupkis Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:21am bupkis said:

Admin Avatar

-Renogy Team

The question of concern is does the battery voltage readout supposed to be battery voltage as supported by the manual or some 'target' voltage suggested by the OP?

It should be the actual battery voltage. Do the values change with and without the temperature sensor?

-Renogy Team

Posted by tattoo

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:54am

playersz28 Avatar

Time of day and charge mode doesn't affect the discrepancy.

That wasn't my question.... What is your voltage first thing in the morning..... It can't be 14 something that you keep saying it is...

Posted by tattoo

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:56am

playersz28 Avatar

That's what I said above I'd bet that the CC is adjusting for the temp.,....

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:04am

Admin Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:46am Admin said:

bupkis Avatar

It should be the actual battery voltage. Do the values change with and without the temperature sensor?

-Renogy Team

Thank you, the OP does not believe his CC readout can be 2% low.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:35am

bupkis Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:25am bupkis said:

playersz28 Avatar

where did you look?

coincidence, yes your CC is off by that much.

Calc'd it from the 4mv & current temp to get the offset which is pretty much the diff between actual batt voltage and reported batt voltage. I didn't check if the Tracer did the same thing.

Does anybody else have a difference between reported voltage and actual?

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:37am

tattoo Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:54am tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

Time of day and charge mode doesn't affect the discrepancy.

That wasn't my question.... What is your voltage first thing in the morning..... It can't be 14 something that you keep saying it is...

I never said it was 14 in the morning. The numbers I'm talking about are when it's charging. I haven't checked the numbers when it's dark and not charging.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:42am

bupkis Avatar

Admin Avatar

-Renogy Team

Sounds like an answer produced by a politician LOL

Line Loss - no, measured at the CC output terminals with DVM
TempComp - maybe, but my point is that the CC reports something it calls "battery voltage" which is not the true voltage
Accuracy - my DVM is showing to 100ths of a volt. The CC shows 10ths. Can't be off by .25-.30v by rounding

I log the data from the CC. My point is that I can't use it as it's not correct. Logging 14.8v is not the same as 15.05v

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:51am

I disconnected the temp sensor and the reported temp went to 25C which would mean no comp. There is still a 0.25v discrepancy between reported and actual voltage. I then disconnected the panels so there was no charging (in float mode anyway). Still had the difference and the CC was reporting that the panel voltage is 0.3v when nothing there.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:34pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:37am playersz28 said:

tattoo Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:54am tattoo said:

I never said it was 14 in the morning. The numbers I'm talking about are when it's charging. I haven't checked the numbers when it's dark and not charging.

I know you didn't say it was 14 and neither did I, but that's the only numbers you have given.... Why haven't you checked the voltage in the AM that's very important..... Plus you can also see if the CC is correct at rest.....

Just checking one thing the same time everyday isn't a good way to see where and if there is a problem at all.....See what I'm saying...

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:40pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:51am playersz28 said:

I disconnected the temp sensor and the reported temp went to 25C which would mean no comp. There is still a 0.25v discrepancy between reported and actual voltage. I then disconnected the panels so there was no charging (in float mode anyway). Still had the difference and the CC was reporting that the panel voltage is 0.3v when nothing there.

so the panel V is OFF also! 

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:57pm

tattoo Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:34pm tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:37am playersz28 said:

I know you didn't say it was 14 and neither did I, but that's the only numbers you have given.... Why haven't you checked the voltage in the AM that's very important..... Plus you can also see if the CC is correct at rest.....

Just checking one thing the same time everyday isn't a good way to see where and if there is a problem at all.....See what I'm saying...

I'll check it in the morning but I'm not concerned about what the ACTUAL voltage is. My issue is that whatever the CC reports, at any time of day that I have checked so far and in any mode that it's running in..... the reported battery voltage is incorrect.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:01pm

bupkis Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:40pm bupkis said:

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:51am playersz28 said:

so the panel V is OFF also! 

Yeah, maybe that's where the missing 0.3v went. LOL

The whole point of this is that if the CC is going to report data and the data is wrong what is the use of having the data? I can only easily check the batt voltage. Maybe the current being reported is wrong too but I'd have to insert the meter to check that although I can see what the DROK meter shows for charge current but I don't know how accurate that is. I know my DVM is right.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:05pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:57pm playersz28 said:

I'll check it in the morning but I'm not concerned about what the ACTUAL voltage is. My issue is that whatever the CC reports, at any time of day that I have checked so far and in any mode that it's running in..... the reported battery voltage is incorrect.

But you are concerned what the a ACTUAL voltage is... If you weren't you wouldn't be looking at it...

But that's neither here nor there.... Let us know what the CC says the voltage is and what your meter says it is in the AM..... I believe it will tell you way more than you think it will...

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:59pm

I hope your voltage discrepancy is constant or a fixed % so you can use it.

To me it all relative and usable but I might understand how you feel it is unusable (I suggest you get over it!!!!)

Like your speedometer, bathroom scale or oven temp, none are accurate but relative.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:26am

Well, I measure it in the morning and the LCD showed 12.3 while the DVM on the CC terminals showed 12.51v

I need to check that the elevated voltage levels are still correct for the AGM charge parameters.

Everybody else has battery terminals showing the same voltage as the LCD display or reported voltage from the CC? Don't know if there are other Rover owners here that can check.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:42am

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:26am playersz28 said:

Well, I measure it in the morning and the LCD showed 12.3 while the DVM on the CC terminals showed 12.51v

I need to check that the elevated voltage levels are still correct for the AGM charge parameters.

Everybody else has battery terminals showing the same voltage as the LCD display or reported voltage from the CC? Don't know if there are other Rover owners here that can check.

What was the voltage on the batteries themselves checked with your DVM? And what was the CC telling you what the voltage is in the batteries? 12.3 right?  Not checked with your DVM?

What kind of draw do you have on your batteries?

Thanks

Posted by bupkis

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50am

looks like the CC is ~.2v low always. I few more measurements and you'll have it dialed in.

I don't have the rover but I have the exact same LCD, pwm controller made by srne solar like the rover
its .05-.1v low compared to my DVM across the board.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:06am

tattoo Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:42am tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

What was the voltage on the batteries themselves checked with your DVM? And what was the CC telling you what the voltage is in the batteries? 12.3 right?  Not checked with your DVM?

Thanks

Not sure what you're trying to get to with your questions. It has nothing to do with anything in the system except the CC. It showed 12.3v on the LCD and 12.51v on the DVM when reading the battery connections on the CC itself. It thinks the battery is less than it is (12.3v could be anywhere from 12.25v to 12.39v before rounding). There was no draw on the system not that it matters at all in this case, that would just lower the Batt voltage AND the voltage displayed on the LCD.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:09am

bupkis Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50am bupkis said:

looks like the CC is ~.2v low always. I few more measurements and you'll have it dialed in.

I don't have the rover but I have the exact same LCD, pwm controller made by srne solar like the rover

You wouldn't think it would be that hard for the internals to read a voltage and display it correctly. If it wasn't such a pain I'd swap back to the Tracer and see what it shows. The whole reason I went to a Rover was for the extra data produced and the BT connection. If it's incorrect then the data is useless.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:15am

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:06am playersz28 said:

There was no draw on the system not that it matters at all in this case, that would just lower the Batt voltage AND the voltage displayed on the LCD.

Sure it matters a LOT..... If there is no draw on your batteries why are they at 12.3 in the AM? When you say your getting 14 to 15.5 charging in the afternoon....

I wish I could help you....

Good luck...

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:48am

tattoo Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:15am tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

There was no draw on the system not that it matters at all in this case, that would just lower the Batt voltage AND the voltage displayed on the LCD.

Sure it matters a LOT..... If there is no draw on your batteries why are they at 12.3 in the AM? When you say your getting 14 to 15.5 charging in the afternoon....

Good luck...

They're not at 12.3v (which is what the CC says), they're at 12.5v (from DVM & other meters) and 12.8v would be a battery that has sat and rested all night with no load at all. These batteries have some parasitic electronic load in the RV and the CC drawing on them overnight. So when I say no load, I mean no significant load.

My point is I don't care whether the batteries are 12v, 12.5v, 14v, 15v, or any other number. The whole point of this thread is that the CC shows a battery voltage that isn't correct  in any way and is consistently wrong. Whether it's 6AM or high noon and full sun the number is always wrong.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:11pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:48am playersz28 said:

They're not at 12.3v (which is what the CC says), they're at 12.5v (from DVM & other meters) and 12.8v would be a battery that has sat and rested all night with no load at all. These batteries have some parasitic electronic load in the RV and the CC drawing on them overnight. So when I say no load, I mean no significant load.

My point is I don't care whether the batteries are 12v, 12.5v, 14v, 15v, or any other number. The whole point of this thread is that the CC shows a battery voltage that isn't correct  in any way and is consistently wrong. Whether it's 6AM or high noon and full sun the number is always wrong.

You say it has no load but in reality it has a load, small or not it has a load......

You say you don't care about numbers, But this is all about numbers....

I don't think you have a problem with your CC....

Good luck...

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:11pm

tattoo Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:11pm tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:48am playersz28 said:

You say it has no load but in reality it has a load, small or not it has a load......

You say you don't care about numbers, But this is all about numbers....

I don't think you have a problem with your CC....

Good luck...

Yeah, okay. This isn't a big issue with the system, it's the CC itself. I'll remove it from the system and hook it to a 12v power supply. If the numbers don't match then there's something wrong with the CC.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:28pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:11pm playersz28 said:

Yeah, okay. This isn't a big issue with the system, it's the CC itself. I'll remove it from the system and hook it to a 12v power supply. If the numbers don't match then there's something wrong with the CC.

I'd say once you isolate the CC it will be the same voltage/numbers as the battery.....

But it's your CC..... What ever you thinks best...

Posted by playersz28

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:51am

Bench test:
"Reported/LCD V" = "Supply V"
12.0 = 12.12
12.5 = 12.65
13.0 = 13.18
13.5 = 13.70
14.0 = 14.20

I adjusted the supply V slowly to where the LCD just changed the tenths to the next digit assuming this would be the minimum rounding. The SupplyV was measured on the CC battery terminals.

Posted by bupkis

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:20am

1% - 1.5%

Posted by tattoo

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:55am

Ok, For shits and giggles I went and looked at my system..... My batteries are at 12.80 with my voltmeter and my 60a CC says the batteries are at 12.87... Does it bother me? No, I bet it has been that way from the beginning and it could be more or less when it's charging more than it is this early in the AM...... Also I bet it's some kind of an algorithm.....

If it bothers you buy a better CC and see if it's closer..... I'm just glad mine's charging my batteries and has been for over a year now....

Posted by tattoo

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:23pm

Alright..... Here you go, I just checked while it's charging and the batteries are at 14.35 and the CC says the batteries are at 14.54...

Like I said before there is nothing wrong with your CC....

Posted by bupkis

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:59pm

I hope your voltage discrepancy is constant or a fixed % so you can use it.

To me it all relative and usable but I might understand how you feel it is unusable (I suggest you get over it!!!!)

Like your speedometer, bathroom scale or oven temp, none are accurate but relative.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:26am

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:42am

playersz28 Avatar

Thanks

Posted by bupkis

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50am

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:06am

tattoo Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:42am tattoo said:

playersz28 Avatar

Thanks

Not sure what you're trying to get to with your questions. It has nothing to do with anything in the system except the CC. It showed 12.3v on the LCD and 12.51v on the DVM when reading the battery connections on the CC itself. It thinks the battery is less than it is (12.3v could be anywhere from 12.25v to 12.39v before rounding). There was no draw on the system not that it matters at all in this case, that would just lower the Batt voltage AND the voltage displayed on the LCD.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:09am

bupkis Avatar

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50am bupkis said:

You wouldn't think it would be that hard for the internals to read a voltage and display it correctly. If it wasn't such a pain I'd swap back to the Tracer and see what it shows. The whole reason I went to a Rover was for the extra data produced and the BT connection. If it's incorrect then the data is useless.

Posted by tattoo

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:15am

playersz28 Avatar

Good luck...

Posted by playersz28

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:48am

• Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment