Answered

Dead L.I. battery

Posted by without

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:23am

My invertor drained my battery to the point that the solar system can't wake it. How do I "wake it up" Even trickle chargers are not helping. Can I use my vehicle to jump start it?

Posted by Admin

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:10am

without Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:23am without said:

My invertor drained my battery to the point that the solar system can't wake it. How do I "wake it up" Even trickle chargers are not helping. Can I use my vehicle to jump start it?

Hello,

Do you have a multi-meter to test the voltage on the the battery? Prior to draining did the inverter give any warning lights or alarms?

-Renogy Team

Posted by tattoo

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:21am

without Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:23am without said:

Why do you think the inverter did it? How large is your inverter? What kind of draw do you have hooked to your inverter? How large and what kind of battery do you have? How old is your battery?

WAY MORE INFO IS needed to help you.....

No don't hook your car to it.... That won't jump start your battery it sounds like it's dead to me...

Posted by bupkis

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:39am

Hi Admin, do your Li batteries have sleep or standby circuitry?

Posted by without

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:51pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:39am bupkis said:

I don't know.  Renogy 100AMP HR L.I. with a management system built in.

Posted by without

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:57pm

I don't know. Renogy 100 AMP L.I battery with management system built in.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:04pm

Way more info needed about your system...

Posted by bupkis

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:59pm

without Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:51pm without said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:39am bupkis said:

Well if it does maybe Admin will let us know and suggest a way to boost it into taking a charge, getting it out of standby/sleep mode.

Posted by Admin

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:02am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:59pm bupkis said:

without Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:51pm without said:

Well if it does maybe Admin will let us know and suggest a way to boost it into taking a charge, getting it out of standby/sleep mode.

Was a temperature sense used?

The Rover MPPT charge controller has a reactivation feature to awaken a sleeping lithium battery. The protection circuit of lithium battery will typically turn the battery off and make it unusable if over-discharged. This can happen when storing a lithium battery pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Without the wake-up feature to reactivate and recharge batteries, these batteries would
become unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. The Rover will apply a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, it starts a normal charge.

-Renogy Team

Posted by bupkis

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:41am

Admin Avatar

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:02am Admin said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:59pm bupkis said:

The Rover MPPT charge controller has a reactivation feature to awaken a sleeping lithium battery. The protection circuit of lithium battery will typically turn the battery off and make it unusable if over-discharged. This can happen when storing a lithium battery pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Without the wake-up feature to reactivate and recharge batteries, these batteries would
become unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. The Rover will apply a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, it starts a normal charge.

-Renogy Team

Is the reactivation feature only on the newer Li series Rovers?

Posted by Admin

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:36pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:41am bupkis said:

Admin Avatar

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:02am Admin said:

-Renogy Team

Is the reactivation feature only on the newer Li series Rovers?

It should be for all Rover-Li. However, some Rovers might still be in circulation through distributors without the Li mark.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:40am

Okay, now how do I wake it up. Do I hook up the Rover and wait? It was hooked up for half a day before I discovered the problem, so I disconnected it, then hooked it back up after trying to use a trickle charger. Rover still said ACR, and never got the system going. 

Posted by Admin

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:42am

without Avatar

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:40am without said:

Okay, now how do I wake it up. Do I hook up the Rover and wait? It was hooked up for half a day before I discovered the problem, so I disconnected it, then hooked it back up after trying to use a trickle charger. Rover still said ACR, and never got the system going. 

What kind of trickle charger did you use for the LFP battery? We would recommend to disconnect all loads first and have the Rover connected, it should be an automatic process.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:57pm

I hooked it back to the Rover and the system (200 Watt Renogy) , All ofwhich I bought a few months ago. I have no loads on the Rover, or the battery.  I left it for 10 mins. and the Rover still Had ACR on the screen. Do I leave it longer, or is there a way to program the Rover. It did not respond to pushing any of the buttons.

Posted by Admin

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:04am

without Avatar

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:57pm without said:

I hooked it back to the Rover and the system (200 Watt Renogy) , All ofwhich I bought a few months ago. I have no loads on the Rover, or the battery.  I left it for 10 mins. and the Rover still Had ACR on the screen. Do I leave it longer, or is there a way to program the Rover. It did not respond to pushing any of the buttons.

If you have not connected a temperature sensor while having the LFP battery connected or have not incorrectly trickle charged the battery on your own, then we would recommend you call Renogy Technical Support to determine whether the controller is defective since it has the ACr code. They will be asking similar questions to this forum, for example what kind of multi-meter readings are you getting.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:45am

I will purchase a multi meter today to take a reading. Does it have a temp sensor, or is that a seprate piece of equipment?

Posted by bupkis

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:51am

remote temp sensor is a add on that plugs into the controller and has long enough wire to reach the battery to measure its temperature. apparently renogy does not want it used with their Li batts.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:12am

If Li batteries are so great why do so many people have problems with them? I know one thing they are expensive enough....

Posted by Admin

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:47am

We have determined that the error you are receiving is due to an activation error between the LFP BMS and the controller. If you try your controller with another deep cycle battery, chances are it would work. We regret to inform you that the Renogy LFP batteries should not be trickle charged, we were attempting to figure out how you charged these batteries in hopes that perhaps it was within voltage bounds, but we have yet to see receive this information. In any case, a multi-meter is a much needed investment in solar or electricity in general, as it allows you to "see" what's happening within your system.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:44am

I will pick up a multi-meter,  and take readings so we can get started.  What is the temp sensing device I need.? Hope I can get that also.

Posted by Admin

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:16am

without Avatar

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:44am without said:

I will pick up a multi-meter,  and take readings so we can get started.  What is the temp sensing device I need.? Hope I can get that also.

We would not recommend pairing the temperature sensor with the LFP battery. It is supposed to be for temperature compensation when charging other battery chemistry types.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:40am

I have been so busy with work and life that I have not picked up the multi-meter yet. Will get one today and over the weekend get the readings. If this does not work, can I ship the battery back for your team to get it charged. Also the trickle chargers I tried did not send a charge to the battery. I know because it had a read out that said it was not charging.

Posted by Admin

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:43am

without Avatar

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:40am without said:

I have been so busy with work and life that I have not picked up the multi-meter yet. Will get one today and over the weekend get the readings. If this does not work, can I ship the battery back for your team to get it charged. Also the trickle chargers I tried did not send a charge to the battery. I know because it had a read out that said it was not charging.

Anything regarding processing will have to be done via technical support or customer service when you call Renogy. We recommend you contact technical support for next steps. Our purpose for this forum is to provide recommendations, be a technical resource, and also moderate.

-Renogy Team

Posted by without

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:57pm

Okay, I talked to George at Tech support. I did get a multi-meter, and the battery showed zero volts. My solar panels, 2x100watt hooked in parallel showed 20 volts give or take. He said to hook it all back up for a few hours and see if the Rover gets it to take a charge. I will do that tomorrow which will be all day sun. He said if that did not work, to send the battery back. It was my fault for draining it, and I am getting good support. Trying to get moving forward.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:19pm

without Avatar

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:57pm without said:

Okay, I talked to George at Tech support. I did get a multi-meter, and the battery showed zero volts. My solar panels, 2x100watt hooked in parallel showed 20 volts give or take. He said to hook it all back up for a few hours and see if the Rover gets it to take a charge. I will do that tomorrow which will be all day sun. He said if that did not work, to send the battery back. It was my fault for draining it, and I am getting good support. Trying to get moving forward.

LOL So tech told you hook all of your solar back up to a dead battery? LOL? When did it become ok to hook up the panels to the CC only....  Remember you have a dead battery? It's hard to believe they told you that.......

I bet your manual says to hook up the battery first then the panels..... See what I'm saying......

Did they say they would give you a new CC if it kills your CC?

Posted by bupkis

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:41pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:19pm tattoo said:

without Avatar

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:57pm without said:

LOL So tech told you hook all of your solar back up to a dead battery? LOL? When did it become ok to hook up the panels to the CC only....  Remember you have a dead battery? It's hard to believe they told you that.......

I bet your manual says to hook up the battery first then the panels..... See what I'm saying......

Did they say they would give you a new CC if it kills your CC?

For lithium it says to hook them as support suggested and let the features of the controller try and wake the battery management system up that has shut down to prevent battery damage. You can read about it in the manual.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:26pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:41pm bupkis said:

For lithium it says to hook them as support suggested and let the features of the controller try and wake the battery management system up that has shut down to prevent battery damage. You can read about it in the manual.

It sounds like a Li battery is more trouble than they are worth......

So he must have one of those new fanged Li CC like the new fanged inverters that keeps having problems...

Posted by tattoo

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:17pm

Swampmonster read this thread.... It's very informative....

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:11pm

There is such a thing called cell reversal where some or all cells will lose their senses and some or all will become reversed in polarity or simply neutral, and refuse recharge...kinda like my first ex wife....kinda, but not exactly.

That sorta stuff only happens when totally discharged, and perhaps yours has experienced total discharge nuff to exhibit that in some cells if not all...Where then, perhaps it will not awake to the stun of sudden charge nuff to reestablish proper polarity nuff to accept a charge.

Being present day lithium, and being very dependent on close tolerances, and very dependent on very specific discharge and recharge specs, then perhaps maybe things have gotten to the point you gotta scrap the whole expensive battery, even tho much of it is good.

Listen to the Renogy guy carefully...He may offer you some tips to save your expensive battery from the scrap pile....But be prepared to toss it away and buy another.

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:33pm

ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2016-02/6/897.abstract

Just one of the papers and studies done on cell reversal in Li-Ion batteries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery

And a link to the wiki

Same event can happen in all lead acid and rechargeable batteries.

Tatt, you are correct.. I have experienced 3 ex-wives and a dozen live in GF's, bless their hearts. :) Now ya know why I got me a huge motor home and wanna get way far away out in the boonies....NO DRAMA!..Wheee! :)

Posted by tattoo

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:49am

swampmonster Avatar

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:33pm swampmonster said:

Tatt, you are correct.. I have experienced 3 ex-wives and a dozen live in GF's, bless their hearts. :) Now ya know why I got me a huge motor home and wanna get way far away out in the boonies....NO DRAMA!..Wheee! :)

LOL Thank god I only have one Ex wife, That's enough... LOL

My Dad rest his soul had 7 ex wives.....I think he would marry them instead of living with them... F that...

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:48am

That old man needs just a motor home where every night he too will experience total silence...Total peaceful silence..Those stars that pass over in the sky, he can name them after his girls and wives like all past....And proclaim their beauty..but like all stars they will fall.

ONE OF THOSE STARS IS YOUR MOM..YOUR MOTHER, and even you Mister.... keep your mom up high and shining brite...YOU...JUST YOU.

..................And when she get's really old, really old and weak, really really old and weak....whisper to her this, "Momma, those stars you see, they are your dreams on Angle wings, trust me, you heart makes them shine, and your tears make them fly."

That little lady's heart really is a star up in your heaven...It is, I swear it is...Go look...It's there looking back at you....And it will fall the day you fall, but not before....Promise.

Same for you, buddy...Your heart makes them shine, and your dreams make them fly....promise...Dreams...Tomorrow

That is the magic of today and yesterday.

That Star...That Star...It is your dreams on Angle wings...Yes, your tears make it fly, and your heart makes it shine....Simple stuff...honest stuff ....trust it.

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:55pm

I....I, uh kinda sorta went thru some stuff I wasn't prepared for even after years of marriages and war as active duty typa guy...I uh had to honor a promise I made to my dad that I would take care of Mom after/as he died...Yeah, I promised it to my dad as I held his hand as he died...I had to honor what I promised him, yaknow?

Yaknow, there were many nights during those trying times when I would go outside in desperation and look to the heavens...Lost...Tired....ready to give up....Yeah...Yeah, ready to give it all up..."I can't do this".."I can't keep it up"..Mom is layin there in a hospital bed in her living room and I'm sleeping on the love seat and have been for two years...Yeah, it was perhaps the hardest thing this old man has ever done.

But, late at night, I would look up to those heavens and see all them Stars...Yeah....One in particular shined really brite....That Star was my Dad....My Dad.

..............And every nite when I was totally whipped, I'd see him up there shining brite and he would tell me, "Get it done, Boy..You promised."

So, yes Sir....Those Stars up in your heaven tonight are-really are-dreams on Angel wings....And our tears make them fly, and our hearts make them shine.

• Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment