Answered

FIXED: Renogy 3000 watt inverter keeps getting GF faults

Posted by terracore

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:07pm

I have a new Renogy 3000 watt inverter and it keeps shutting off with the GF light illuminated. I do not have anything hooked up that has a grounding plug.


I'm using the hardwire connection, not one of the inverter outlets.


Any ideas?   Could the light mean something else?  Is there any way to disable the GFCI protection?  The inverter seems well-built but the documentation that came with it seems lacking.

Posted by tattoo

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:18am

It sounds like you have something hooked up wrong. Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up..... Thanks


Or you have to much of a load or not enough power supplying the inverter.....


What kind of a solar system do you have???

Posted by terracore

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:32pm

Thanks for your reply. The quick description is I have 2000 watts of panels and MPPT charge controllers that charge a small lead acid battery array. The average draw on the inverter is about 400 watts, however it sometimes goes to around 650 or so. Everything runs fine for hours and then randomly it gets a GF error and shuts off. The inverter is only used during the day when the sun is out. I have other inverters that have manual GFCI outlets on them and they have never triggered in this application. The Renogy unit has never sounded an alarm and the red fault light has never come on. The 3000 watt Renogy unit does not have manual GFCI outlets (I do not know what the smaller units have) but rather detects the GF internally and resets it when it is powered off and on again.

Posted by tattoo

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:46pm

2000w of panels?? WOW......... You must have a HUGE group of CC.... And you say a small amount of batteries? Why may I ask?? With that many panels I'd have a lot of batteries.....

Has it ever run correctly or is the Inverter a new addition??

I would assume no inverter comes with a manual... At least my 500 and 2000 didn't come with one.....

I think you need to call tech support.......

Posted by terracore

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:12pm

I am over paneled because I live in a rain forest and most days are overcast. I don't have a lot of batteries because I cannot yet afford them so I only use solar power during daylight.

And yes, the system has worked well for over a year and with many different inverters. The Renogy inverter is the only that has had GF problems.

Posted by tattoo

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:57pm

If it's worked fine for a year you need to call Renogy tomorrow..... Let us know what they tell you....

Posted by terracore

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:05pm

Calling tech support is difficult for me because of the time difference and their limited hours. I did email them last weekend and look forward to their response.

Posted by terracore

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:50am

Well, I guess Renogy doesn't reply to emails or posts on their forums.

Posted by tattoo

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:56pm

terracore Avatar

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:50am terracore said:

Well, I guess Renogy doesn't reply to emails or posts on their forums.


Yep....... Just like I told you before...........

Posted by terracore

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:41pm

Are you saying Renogy doesn't care about it's customers?


I'm a TOP amazon reviewer and have been very patient in writing my review.  But I have been writing it.  Your feedback is important.  They will have more in stock around April 7 and I can pick up another few inverters to test and see if this is a design fault or what.


I might even include screen shots from here in the review.  So tell us your experiences.


P.S.  Screenshots / date stamps already taken.

Posted by tattoo

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:04am

Nope not saying that they don't care about there customers at all..... I don't know them or anyone that works there..... I just answered your question........

Posted by Admin

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:58pm

terracore Avatar

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:41pm terracore said:

Are you saying Renogy doesn't care about it's customers?

I'm a TOP amazon reviewer and have been very patient in writing my review.  But I have been writing it.  Your feedback is important.  They will have more in stock around April 7 and I can pick up another few inverters to test and see if this is a design fault or what.

I might even include screen shots from here in the review.  So tell us your experiences.

P.S.  Screenshots / date stamps already taken.




We definitely care about our customers. We have just been having some departmental restructuring that will hopefully work on the processing of our portals.

-Renogy Team

Posted by Admin

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:04pm

The fault light unfortunately can have some loaded meanings, so it is best to analyze all parts of the situation from firmc onnections, temperature, and wiring to and from the inverter.

INV3000.PNG


-Renogy Team

Posted by terracore

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:03pm

"The fault light unfortunately can have some loaded meanings"

So it might not be a ground fault?! What are the other possibilities? Please explain with more than a troubleshooting list that ONLY LISTS A GF as the only possibility?

Posted by Admin

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:19pm

terracore Avatar

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:03pm terracore said:

"The fault light unfortunately can have some loaded meanings"

So it might not be a ground fault?! What are the other possibilities? Please explain with more than a troubleshooting list that ONLY LISTS A GF as the only possibility?




Sorry for not being clear. The fault light has loaded meanings from voltage to temperature, you're saying the GFCI light is the one that is illuminated. However, can you demonstrate how you have it connected? You did mention it is hard wired and not through the outlet. Have you tried to the outlet itself to see if you get the same fault?

-Renogy Team



Posted by terracore

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:18pm

Thanks for the replies. It turns out the unit was defective. I exchanged it on Amazon and hooked it up exactly the same way and the replacement unit is working perfectly.

Posted by tattoo

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:39pm

terracore Avatar

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:18pm terracore said:

Thanks for the replies. It turns out the unit was defective. I exchanged it on Amazon and hooked it up exactly the same way and the replacement unit is working perfectly.


And that's a good thing............

Posted by terracore

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:40pm

I really appreciate the tech support Renogy gave me... Not! I called them, waited on hold, just to be told to email them a video of the orange light coming on. Uh.... Really? Is color blindness more likely than a defective unit?

I'm not color blind. I've been tested! The orange GF light came on when the inverter died. Over and over and over again. I have no GF issues, and the replacement unit has proven that by working PERFECTLY.

I like this Renogy inverter, but I feel like the customer-service part of the business was a sleazy "how can we blame the user?" type of thing with a demeaning request to provide video proof of my problem before they were willing to categorize it as legitimate. I used to maintain and repair multi-million dollar industrial electrical equipment. I can diagnose a false GF and tell the difference between red and orange lights. And based on other reviews I've read, the false GF issue is a well-known occasional defect that shouldn't be treated like the user is an idiot. The unit has a track record: Act like it.

Posted by tattoo

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:19pm

terracore Avatar

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:40pm terracore said:

 I like this Renogy inverter, but I feel like the customer-service part of the business was a sleazy "how can we blame the user?"


I felt the exact same way after each of the 5 times I talked to them over a couple years....... But I called them 9 times total and left 4 messages with no response from them .....

Posted by hirsch56

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:18am

I had the same symptoms from a different mfr. inverter. The problem was that I did not connect the inverter's rear panel earth ground terminal to a good chassis ground. The inverter chassis mounted to the trailer chassis was not a proper ground.

Posted by terracore

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:51pm

terracore Avatar

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:05pm terracore said:

Calling tech support is difficult for me because of the time difference and their limited hours. I did email them last weekend and look forward to their response.



Renogy did finally reply to the email I sent described above, after exactly 30 days.


Unfortunately, they did not answer my question, they only acknowledged that they were sorry they never answered my question, and wanted to know if I still had the same question.


Really... It took them 30 days to reply to a tech support email, with the response being, do I still have the question, but no attempt at an answer?  If I said YES, would this just repeat in another 30 days?  Does this go on forever?

Posted by tattoo

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:26am

terracore Avatar

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:51pm terracore said:

Really... It took them 30 days to reply to a tech support email, with the response being, do I still have the question, but no attempt at an answer?  If I said YES, would this just repeat in another 30 days?  Does this go on forever?


It's been going on as long as I've been here......


When they started this new forum I thought it might change....... But nope more of the same.....

Posted by Starman37121

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:05am

Does anyone know a modification I can make to my 1000W Renogy Inverter to bypass the GFCI circuitry?
It seems there are many defective boards going through Amazon. I would rather reverse engineer it than mess with sending it back.

Posted by tattoo

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:21am


Apr 22, 2019 at 6:05am Starman37121 said:


Does anyone know a modification I can make to my 1000W Renogy Inverter to bypass the GFCI circuitry?
It seems there are many defective boards going through Amazon. I would rather reverse engineer it than mess with sending it back.


Send it back.......... If you mess with it you will void the warranty........

Posted by Admin

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:56am

terracore Avatar

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:51pm terracore said:

terracore Avatar

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:05pm terracore said:

Calling tech support is difficult for me because of the time difference and their limited hours. I did email them last weekend and look forward to their response.


Renogy did finally reply to the email I sent described above, after exactly 30 days.

Unfortunately, they did not answer my question, they only acknowledged that they were sorry they never answered my question, and wanted to know if I still had the same question.

Really... It took them 30 days to reply to a tech support email, with the response being, do I still have the question, but no attempt at an answer?  If I said YES, would this just repeat in another 30 days?  Does this go on forever?




We apologize for this massive inconvenience. The ticket and support rate has gone up exponentially and there are not enough agents to get back to the tickets in a proper time. This is still an issue but controls have been put to rectify it with more tickets being dispersed to more agents.

-Renogy Team

Posted by terracore

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:15pm

When people are on YOUR forum asking how to disable the safety features to make the product work, that is not a "massive inconvenience", it is a LEGAL LIABILITY.



Posted by Starman37121

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:05am

Warranty-Smorranty, Legal-Smeagal. When a person opens something up with the intentions of making modifications, ALL BETS ARE OFF!. Yes, all warranty, assumed or otherwise, all legal liability, etc. etc. go down the drain. I choose Renogy because "They" have, in my opinion, the best track record, the best "Pure" power setup...Blah, Blah, Blah. Forums are typically, for and about people that share ideas, typically similar, and/or tips for each other, whether it's how someone used a typical purchased part from so-and-so, and built a great simple "whats it", to using a TRS-80 computer to power their home for twenty-two hours on eight hours of sun light. Sharing.... "We" excel, to achieve great things when we do it. Renogy. I have found that "They" have good stuff for contractors AND, Do-It-Yer-Own-Dang-Selfers.
I am building an Uninterruptible power supply for my home furnace. My furnace is Extremely energy efficient. A GFCI device will not operate as designed with my furnace. I am making the battery backup so that when the power "flickers" (off and on) repeatedly, or is not off for at least thirty minuets, it won't activate. Likewise, if the power comes back on before the end of a heating cycle, it doesn't de-activate. When I asked if one of "Y'all" had already done what I will spend thirty to forty hours doing, I knew full well that "Renogy" "Can't-Touch-Dis". That doesn't mean that someone, on there own, did or didn't, put a 1K ohm resistor, and a 20picoferrad capacitor across the junction of "here" to "there" to get around the problem, while in the meantime, Renogy is working overtime to find out if the problem is in the Engineering Department or only on the manufacturing floor.
So, I may be asked not to post on this forum, if I have a "quick-fix" I'll post it to share. When I have "Free Energy' I will post it! even though, Free Energy is a very bad thing for our economy. It is only good for socialism, and that's bad!
My next project will be to make retractable awnings made of solar panels for my south-facing windows.

Posted by tattoo

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:14am


Apr 27, 2019 at 8:05am Starman37121 said:


  I have found that "They" have good stuff for contractors AND, Do-It-Yer-Own-Dang-Selfers.
 



I totally agree......

  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment