Answered

Renogy 100AH Li Batteries

Posted by playersz28

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:26am

Admin,

On the description page it says:

"Note: Please be aware that if the batteries' Battery Management System (BMS) is activated and the battery voltage shows 0V, you must use a compatible Li charger to reactivate our Li batteries."

Does this only come into play if there is a complete discharge of the battery? Does it just require a charge controller that supports Li batteries or does it need a Renogy controller to reactivate them?

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:34am

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off



Above link is a good explanation of what happens.



I'm not saying ANY li charger will do it, mabye Renogy chargers are specific to their exact batteries.

Posted by playersz28

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:42am

Thanks, I was asking if it was specific to where it has to be a Renogy CC

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:00pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:42am playersz28 said:

Thanks, I was asking if it was specific to where it has to be a Renogy CC


Yup, that is how I read your post....Maybe Renogy will chime in.

Posted by Admin

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:03pm

playersz28 Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:26am playersz28 said:

Admin,

On the description page it says:

"Note: Please be aware that if the batteries' Battery Management System (BMS) is activated and the battery voltage shows 0V, you must use a compatible Li charger to reactivate our Li batteries."

Does this only come into play if there is a complete discharge of the battery? Does it just require a charge controller that supports Li batteries or does it need a Renogy controller to reactivate them?



You must use a compatible LFP charger that is compatible with the Renogy LFP specs. In our note we allude to our Rover Li which supports a activation feature for LFP batteries.

-Renogy Team

Posted by tattoo

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:05pm

Admin Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:03pm Admin said:

You must use a compatible LFP charger that is compatible with the Renogy LFP specs. In our note we allude to our Rover Li which supports a activation feature for LFP batteries.

-Renogy Team


That's good to know for future reference....

Thanks

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:19pm

tattoo Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:05pm tattoo said:

Admin Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:03pm Admin said:

You must use a compatible LFP charger that is compatible with the Renogy LFP specs. In our note we allude to our Rover Li which supports a activation feature for LFP batteries.

-Renogy Team


That's good to know for future reference....

Thanks


AND, it's good to know that possibly from now on Tatt will not make statements as to how a charge controller can wake up a totally discharged lithium battery...Just sayin...Smooch, Tatt.

I GREATLY respect the tech of current lithium batteries and cheer their progress, but for me they are far too early in their development to invest such big bucks in them...Lithium tech is really the center of battery development science today where almost every day someone discoverers a totally new way to make them mobetter and even cheaper and safer...Presently that is including graphene tech, but perhaps tomorrow yet another discovery...It is a fast moving target where were I to jump in today, I would regret my investment tomorrow.

Nah, I'm too old for that fast moving tech...Plus I have lotsa faith in the scientists working hard behind the scenes right as I speak to produce a breakthru that will last awhile and justify my additional investment.

I know little about Renogy, and if they invest in developing the science of new tech, or if they simply sell it to us...Either way I have no complaints because I am just a consumer....but yaknow, I do pay attention.

Posted by bupkis

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:32pm

I've reported the above post to admin, I sure hope we all ignore swampy and his BS stops.

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:41pm

bupkis Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:32pm bupkis said:

I've reported the above post to admin, I sure hope we all ignore swampy and his BS stops.


AW, bupkis.......Come on relax.

Ain't nobody here gonna steal your honors of the big fish in the little pond....You do, after all offer some really great advise and suggestions, yaknow?

Posted by tattoo

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:06pm

swampmonster Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:19pm swampmonster said:

tattoo Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:05pm tattoo said:

That's good to know for future reference....

Thanks


AND, it's good to know that possibly from now on Tatt will not make statements as to how a charge controller can wake up a totally discharged lithium battery...Just sayin...Smooch, Tatt.

I GREATLY respect the tech of current lithium batteries and cheer their progress, but for me they are far too early in their development to invest such big bucks in them...Lithium tech is really the center of battery development science today where almost every day someone discoverers a totally new way to make them mobetter and even cheaper and safer...Presently that is including graphene tech, but perhaps tomorrow yet another discovery...It is a fast moving target where were I to jump in today, I would regret my investment tomorrow.

Nah, I'm too old for that fast moving tech...Plus I have lotsa faith in the scientists working hard behind the scenes right as I speak to produce a breakthru that will last awhile and justify my additional investment.

I know little about Renogy, and if they invest in developing the science of new tech, or if they simply sell it to us...Either way I have no complaints because I am just a consumer....but yaknow, I do pay attention.


Smooch back at ya.... Read the thread I brought back for you to read...

Posted by tattoo

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:23pm

Admin Avatar
Oct 14, 2018 2:02:49 GMT -5 Admin said:
The Rover MPPT charge controller has a reactivation feature to awaken a sleeping lithium battery. The protection circuit of lithium battery will typically turn the battery off and make it unusable if over-discharged. This can happen when storing a lithium battery pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Without the wake-up feature to reactivate and recharge batteries, these batteries would
become unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. The Rover will apply a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, it starts a normal charge.

-Renogy Team



Here it is just in case you miss it...


Smooch....

Posted by swampmonster

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:43pm

You win!

Posted by tattoo

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:36am

swampmonster Avatar

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:43pm swampmonster said:

You win!


Thank you, I was just going by what I had been told by Renogy.....



I personally don't know crap about Li batteries other than they are very expensive....


Posted by subman6311

May 13, 2019 at 5:51am

Admin Avatar
Oct 14, 2018 2:02:49 GMT -5 Admin said:
The Rover MPPT charge controller has a reactivation feature to awaken a sleeping lithium battery. The protection circuit of lithium battery will typically turn the battery off and make it unusable if over-discharged. This can happen when storing a lithium battery pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Without the wake-up feature to reactivate and recharge batteries, these batteries would
become unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. The Rover will apply a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, it starts a normal charge.

-Renogy Team


Has anyone actually tried this??? How do you apply a small charge current across an OPEN CIRCUIT? I have 3 100 ah Renogy batteries that shut off at the 10v mark, apparently. Open circuit. I have a $600 Morningstar 60 amp controller now but I see the Rover only goes up to 40 amps and will go POOOF if I attach it in place of my controller. I see Optimate makes a lithium battery charger/"saver" that supposedly resets the BMS. Anyone try those?

Posted by tattoo

May 13, 2019 at 6:15am

^^^ Why would you let you batteries get down to 10v in the first place?? ^^^^^^ That's the bigger question.....




Posted by subman631

May 13, 2019 at 10:42am

Well of course I didn't let it get to 10 volts on purpose. If you look at the voltage curve for a 0.2 C load, you will see that the voltage drops slowly to about 12.5 and then rapidly drops down to 10 volts and below with just a little extra load. I myself am using a 0.1 load which happens to be a chest freezer. That makes tje drop off even steeper. When I checked at 2 in the morning the voltage was still at 12.5 volts. When a chest freezer starts up there's a large surge current sometimes as much as ten times than running current that probably tripped the BMS. The freezer normally runs at 11 and a half amp draw from the batteries. My question remains. How do you reset the BMS and why is it so difficult to reset? Why would manufacturer put in a protection circuit and then when it trips make it so difficult to reset?

I should also add that while I am new to lithium batteries, I have been using my solar system with Trojan Batteries for over 7 years.

Posted by tattoo

May 13, 2019 at 1:32pm

So far I'm not sold on Li batteries..... They are to pricey and people have way to many problems with them......

Why would you switch from something that you knew was working just fine?? To something new?? Just curious.....

Posted by subman631

May 13, 2019 at 11:08pm

Simply put, I've been a sucker for new technologies all my life. :) In this case i may have just picked the wrong brand if their tech service sucks as bad as it sounds. Why not stick with lead acid? The promise of 3000 cycles instead of 300 certainly was a major point as well as no maintenance.

Posted by tattoo

May 14, 2019 at 5:52am

subman631 Avatar

May 13, 2019 at 11:08pm subman631 said:

  Why not stick with lead acid? The promise of 3000 cycles instead of 300 certainly was a major point as well as no maintenance.


That makes sense..... Hope it works out for you......


I'm sticking with my lead acid for a few more years before I change....

Posted by subman631

May 14, 2019 at 9:27am

Thanks. It was a tough decision to make because the lead acid are so much cheaper and i never minded watering them. 2 years was where they started to lose capacity.

Posted by tattoo

May 14, 2019 at 10:31am

subman631 Avatar

May 14, 2019 at 9:27am subman631 said:

Thanks. It was a tough decision to make because the lead acid are so much cheaper and i never minded watering them. 2 years was where they started to lose capacity.


I'm almost at 3 years with the ones I bought at batteries plus....

Posted by subman631

May 14, 2019 at 11:27am

How many? 12 volt system? Flooded? How many minutes capacity at 20 amp discharge (the only real way to compare batteries for solar)

Posted by tattoo

May 14, 2019 at 7:14pm

subman631 Avatar

May 14, 2019 at 11:27am subman631 said:

How many? 12 volt system? Flooded? How many minutes capacity at 20 amp discharge (the only real way to compare batteries for solar)


I have 6 6v flooded 235ah batteries to 12v.... I've never checked the min discharge I have never cared about it..... I'm running a 1944 Monitor top fridge, lights and what ever else I need in my cabin... It's all 120v AC.....


I do all of my heavy AC work during the day when I have excess power....


My system gets down to 12.1 every night and by 10:30 am this time of year it's back up to 12.7.... They float almost everyday...

Posted by subman631

May 15, 2019 at 6:16am

Sounds like you had the same setup as me.

  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment