Answered

Lithium LiFePO4 Charging

Posted by Admin

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:34am

doubledd Avatar

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:21am @doubledd said:

I'm upgrading from two T-105 Trojan flood batteries to a GBS 200 AH Lithium LifePo4 battery bank with BMS. Would you recommend using my Renogy MPPT40CC solar charge controller on GEL setting. GBS Lithium battery can be charged to 14.4 volt but most recommend 14.1 volt.

Renogy Controller Specs
GBS 200 AHGBS 3rd Generation Li-ion Batteries Product Specifications:

- Nominal Voltage: 12.8V (4X 3.2 V)
- Nominal Capacity: 200 Ah
- LiFeMnPO4 chemistry
- Operation Voltage Range: 11.2 to 14.4V
- Weight: 24.9 kg or 55.0 lbs
- Dimension: 500 X 259 X 142 mm or 19.25 X 10.2 X 5.5 in
- Max Charging Current: 3C
- Max Discharge Current: 3C (continuous) / 10C (pulsed)
- Cycle Life : >2000 (80%DOD)
- Operating Temperature: -20 to 65 C or -4 to 149 F
- Self Discharge Rate: <3% monthly
- Accessories included: jumpers, screws, washers, split washers and
cell covers

• Advantage of GBS 3rd Generation Li-ion Batteries:

- High energy density by weight and by volume.
- Superior safety performance due to patented new safety valve and pressure
cap designs.
- Dual Safety Valve Design, one On Each End.
- Batteries do not explode or catch fire when batteries are shorted or punctuated
resulting in internal shorts.
- More robust connection due to new electrode terminal design using four screws
per terminal; Prevent loose connections caused by vibration.
- Reduced impedance due to improved electrode terminal design;
- Long cycle life.
- New cell structure better facilitates battery pack formation.
- Superior cold weather performance. Lab tests show 90% of rated capacity at -20�C.
- Terminal design increases high current performance for longer sustained
continuous current.

Specifications

- Nominal Voltage: 12.8V (4X 3.2 V)
- Nominal Capacity: 200 Ah
- LiFeMnPO4 chemistry
- Operation Voltage Range: 11.2 to 14.4V
- Weight: 24.9 kg or 55.0 lbs
- Dimension: Dimension: 500X259X142 mm or 19.25 X 10.2 X 5.5 in
- Max Charging Current: 3C
- Max Discharge Current: 3C (continuous) / 10C (pulsed)
- Cycle Life : >2000 (80%DOD)
- Operating Temperature: -20 to 65 C or -4 to 149 F
- Self Discharge Rate: <3% monthly
- Accessories included: jumpers, bolts or rivets, washers, split washers and cell covers

rholt51 Avatar

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:12am rholt51 said:

first of all - good question - but there as been no answer since December 2014?
i have a question for anyone out there...
i also have LiFePo4 batteries - 2 - 4-cells used on a 24V system.
i'm using a Custom setup for parameters, but i've never been able to confirm that i'm doing it correctly.
since LiFePo4 batts have slightly different specs than regulare Lipo's and i've read that Gel settings is NOT recommended, i'd really like to see a breakdown of the parameters that should be used.
also, (and i've written about this today) the software "Solar Station Monitor" download file is corrupted. i WAS using an older version of that, but recently it's been having communications problems. - but to that end, it would be GREAT if a firmware update were added so that the parameters for LiPo and LiFePo4 systems could be setup with default parameters!!! thanks,
Russ from Coral Springs, Florida, USA

tattoo Avatar

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:55pm tattoo said:

WOW Man those are some awesome looking batteries and they sure have a hefty price to boot... What is the real advantage to using those batteries???

Posted by Admin

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:39am

To reiterate, you would need a specific lithium ion (or LFP) setting. The Gel setting on the MPPT controller does NOT work for these type of batteries.

-Renogy Team

Posted by subman631

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:28pm

I have 3 of your 100 amp/hour batteries in parallel and I'm using a Morningstar MPPT 60 amp controller being fed by 850 watts of solar panels. I've set my controller as strictly on/off set up for now. It comes on at 13.3 and off at 14.3 volts. I've downloaded your specs and see that you want the full charge up to that point and then a tapering off of voltage until it is a small fraction of the C rating. I haven't found a way to do that yet with my controller but I'm still experimenting.

I replaced 6 golf cart batteries with your batteries at the end of last year to take advantage of the IRS rule for renewable energy. I also just installed a Victron battery monitor to keep a close eye of the charge/discharge cycles. Works great!

Any suggestions for better ways to charge the batteries would be appreciated. I was thinking of changing the on point up to 13.5 so it doesn't discharge so much before regaining its charge.

Posted by tattoo

Feb 25, 2019 at 6:11pm

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:28pm subman631 said:

I have 3 of your 100 amp/hour batteries in parallel and I'm using a Morningstar MPPT 60 amp controller being fed by 850 watts of solar panels. I've set my controller as strictly on/off set up for now. It comes on at 13.3 and off at 14.3 volts. I've downloaded your specs and see that you want the full charge up to that point and then a tapering off of voltage until it is a small fraction of the C rating. I haven't found a way to do that yet with my controller but I'm still experimenting.

I replaced 6 golf cart batteries with your batteries at the end of last year to take advantage of the IRS rule for renewable energy. I also just installed a Victron battery monitor to keep a close eye of the charge/discharge cycles. Works great!

Any suggestions for better ways to charge the batteries would be appreciated. I was thinking of changing the on point up to 13.5 so it doesn't discharge so much before regaining its charge.

Can I ask how many ah were the 6v batteries that you replaced? How well were they working compared to the Li batteries you have now?

Posted by subman631

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:52am

Each flooded battery was 230 amp-hours 6 volts so 2 in series was 12 volts, 230 amp hours but you could only discharge to 50% so they were effectively 115 amp-hours. 3 sets in parallel gave 3 x 115 or 345 amp-hours. However, after 2 years their capacity dropped dramatically and the inverter would trip out on under voltage when the 2 freezers I'm powering would come on. I had the choice of spending 6 x $125 or $750 for a new set every 2 years or $2750 for 3 to 5000 cycles of LiFePo4 batteries. It's too soon to make a judgement on the new batteries but the same inverter has not tripped out even once in the last 4 months.

Posted by subman631

May 20, 2019 at 10:12am

What the heck are these MichaelFract posts?

Posted by Anne3358

May 20, 2019 at 1:15pm

In January 2019 I purchases two Renogy Portable E.Lumen Multi Mode, Multi-Functional Solar Power and USB Rechargeable Flashlight. One of the batteries can no longer be charged. We tried solar charge or charging it with USB cable that came with the battery.

Any suggestions?
Marianne

Posted by tattoo

May 20, 2019 at 6:03pm

subman631 Avatar

May 20, 2019 at 10:12am subman631 said:

What the heck are these MichaelFract posts?

It's spam...........

Posted by Admin

May 21, 2019 at 12:24pm

May 20, 2019 at 1:15pm Anne3358 said:

In January 2019 I purchases two Renogy Portable E.Lumen Multi Mode, Multi-Functional Solar Power and USB Rechargeable Flashlight. One of the batteries can no longer be charged. We tried solar charge or charging it with USB cable that came with the battery.

Any suggestions?
Marianne

does the red light not turn on when charged with either source?

-Renogy Team
  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment