Answered

Reset BMS

Posted by subman631

May 13, 2019 at 6:28am

Admin Avatar

Oct 14, 2018 2:02:49 GMT -5 Admin said:

The Rover MPPT charge controller has a reactivation feature to awaken a sleeping lithium battery. The protection circuit of lithium battery will typically turn the battery off and make it unusable if over-discharged. This can happen when storing a lithium battery pack in a discharged state for any length of time as self-discharge would gradually deplete the remaining charge. Without the wake-up feature to reactivate and recharge batteries, these batteries would

become unserviceable and the packs would be discarded. The Rover will apply a small charge current to activate the protection circuit and if a correct cell voltage can be reached, it starts a normal charge.

-Renogy Team

Has anyone actually tried this??? How do you apply a small charge current across an OPEN CIRCUIT? I have 3 100 ah Renogy batteries that shut off at the 10v mark, apparently. Open circuit. I have a $600 Morningstar 60 amp controller now but I see the Rover only goes up to 40 amps and will fry if I would use it.

I see that there are Lithium battery chargers that have a feature to 'save' batteries.  Optimate makes them > smile.amazon.com/Tecmate-TM-291-Lithium-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B00AHG7O74/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WWTD3UJCXTHA&keywords=optimate+lithium+battery+charger&qid=1557751767&s=automotive&sprefix=optimate%2Cautomotive%2C1687&sr=1-4

Has anyone tried these?  All brands of ready made 12V LiFePO4 batteries have BMS's.  Why is it so difficult to reset them?  It should be a simple procedure to reset them.  In fact, BattleBorn says that theirs resets automatically.  

Posted by subman631

May 15, 2019 at 7:41pm

Well, i spent another $116 and bought the referenced charger. It quickly reset the BMSs and performed a very impressive set of recovery techniques. Downside is it takes over 24 hours to recharge and test each battery.

Posted by Admin

May 21, 2019 at 12:04pm

subman631 Avatar

May 15, 2019 at 7:41pm subman631 said:

Well, i spent another $116 and bought the referenced charger. It quickly reset the BMSs and performed a very impressive set of recovery techniques. Downside is it takes over 24 hours to recharge and test each battery.

There are different amperage chargers, we normally recommend the 15A one if utilizing NOCO

-Renogy Team

Posted by Jaz

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:20pm

How long would it take if using the 15A Noco on supply mode usually?

Posted by Admin

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:04pm

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:20pm Jaz said:

How long would it take if using the 15A Noco on supply mode usually?

This depends on the discharge state of the LFP battery. From 0 to 100% is about 5-6 hours.

Posted by yourrealdad

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:43pm

Hello,

I have a Renogy 100ah Li battery and according to Renogy it is in a BMS state.

Subman, I assume you have the same batteries and the linked charger seemed to work to restore them?

Admin, do you recommend the Optimate or the NOCO to restore from a BMS?

I am looking to try to avoid blowing myself or anything up here

• Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment