Answered

Lycan power box

Posted by raydas

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:34am

I noticed Renogy has this thing on sale. Does anybody have one? Just wondering what can you really do with it. So far this year we have had a couple of power outages, and it is a real hassle to position the gas generator in the garage and then start positioning the extension cables to the basement to connect to the things I need to run. Would the Lycan be a good replacement for the gas generator?

In the specs for the Lycan, it shows that it has a 24Ah lithium battery. That does not seem that could handle a lot of items for a longer period of time. The last power outage we had, at night, lasted about 7 hours. In the summer we did not have to run the furnace, only the sump pump. And because it was after a good thunder storm, the sump pump needed to be run every 20 minutes or so.

So, can anybody share their usage stories with their Lycan?

Posted by Admin

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:14am

raydas Avatar

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:34am raydas said:

I noticed Renogy has this thing on sale. Does anybody have one? Just wondering what can you really do with it. So far this year we have had a couple of power outages, and it is a real hassle to position the gas generator in the garage and then start positioning the extension cables to the basement to connect to the things I need to run. Would the Lycon be a good replacement for the gas generator?

In the specs for the Lycon, it shows that it has a 24Ah lithium battery. That does not seem that could handle a lot of items for a longer period of time. The last power outage we had, at night, lasted about 7 hours. In the summer we did not have to run the furnace, only the sump pump. And because it was after a good thunder storm, the sump pump needed to be run every 20 minutes or so.

So, can anybody share their usage stories with their Lycon?

The lycan is a good replacement for a gas generator especially in emergency situations. Granted if you're trying to run a whole house, then this will not be a suitable unit. While it is 24Ah battery size, it is 48V, so you're getting something closer to 1100Wh.A phone might be something like 5Wh to charge to put it into perspective.

-Renogy Team

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:35am

Sorry, I made the mistake of thinking that Renogy had responded to my post with the same title in another thread. My info is posted there. I wish the Renogy Team would have paid attention to my weeks old posts. It is obvious that they are ignoring my posts, but I don't know why. I have spent thousands of dollars on Renogy products. 

Posted by Admin

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:39am

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:35am mediadogg said:

Sorry, I made the mistake of thinking that Renogy had responded to my post with the same title in another thread. My info is posted there. I wish the Renogy Team would have paid attention to my weeks old posts. It is obvious that they are ignoring my posts, but I don't know why. I have spent thousands of dollars on Renogy products. 

We apologize in advanced for any ignoring of posts. That was never the intention. If this is in regards to products suggestions we do take those and data that into consideration for the product teams.

-Renogy Team

Posted by raydas

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:52pm

I just deleted a comment, because I just noticed that Renogy did respond to the mediadogg thread in the other sub-forum.

Posted by raydas

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:09am

"...While it is 24Ah battery size, it is 48V...". Interesting, what is the configuration of the battery? Does the box have 4 x 12V batteries in series? Also, for battery maintenance, does the battery have easy access. And if the battery happens to go bad, or has reached its charge cycle, do you throw the whole thing out, or is their a way to refurbish the unit. One more item, cost of having the battery replaced.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:48pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:09am raydas said:

"...While it is 24Ah battery size, it is 48V...". Interesting, what is the configuration of the battery? Does the box have 4 x 12V batteries in series? Also, for battery maintenance, does the battery have easy access. And if the battery happens to go bad, or has reached its charge cycle, do you throw the whole thing out, or is their a way to refurbish the unit. One more item, cost of having the battery replaced.

Well, all of that is answered on the product web page, specifications and documentation tabs, if you want details, but I can summarize:

- The battery is a proprietary Li-iron with two connectors to the internal electronics, one being RJ-45 and the other XT30. The battery appears monolithic, but of course it must be composed of multiple Li-iron cells internally.
- The unit can be disassembled in about 10 minutes and the battery lifted out and replaced
- A spare battery can be connected to the back of the unit and the two batteries can be selected by a front-panel switch
- Sort of off-topic, but a very convenient feature is that the Lycan can simultaneously charge a 12/24V SLA using a simple power pole connection in the back

Hope that helps get you get started. Complete details are in the product manuals.

Posted by raydas

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:02pm

"- The battery is a proprietary Li-iron..."
Hmm, "proprietary", I wonder how much that would cost, if you needed to replace it.

@ mediadogg, since you have a couple of these units, have you ever had the load maxed out just see how long it would take for the battery to drain down.

I am thinking about this unit as a temp replacement for a gas generator, but I have to do a lot more research before I even consider making that investment.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:08pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:02pm raydas said:

"- The battery is a proprietary Li-iron..."
Hmm, "proprietary", I wonder how much that would cost, if you needed to replace it.

@ mediadogg, since you have a couple of these units, have you ever had the load maxed out just see how long it would take for the battery to drain down.

I am thinking about this unit as a temp replacement for a gas generator, but I have to do a lot more research before I even consider making that investment.

I use the first one every day. I have yet to put the second one into operation.

I charge it simultaneously from a dedicated string of (3x100W) Renogy panels, the max rated spec, and from its AC charger, which is powered by a separate mini-system of (2x100W) Renogy panels, Renogy CC and 300W Samlex inverter. The AC charger provides another 100W of imput charging to whatever is coming in from solar. So, starting at daylight, my big system starts charging, and by using a MOES switch, it starts powering my computer servers, using a similar setup to that diagram I posted in the other thread. All three servers are connected to dedicated UPS's through a Pro-Watt ATS to help buffer the computers from all the switching. Usually, by noon, all the computers are running off solar. Meanwhile the Lycan is juicing up, and usually at 100% when a timer switch pops and makes the Lycan available to the the MOES. At that point, the Lycan serves as the "grid", and then the MOES switches back and forth between my Samlex inverter and the Lycan, depending on the sun / load / etc. This goes on well into the evening until the sun can no longer keep the Samlex going, and the Lycan drains down. Day after day, month after month. So far, no issues.

I am able to roughly predict how long the Lycan will run by simply dividing the load watts into the percentage indicator x 1000 WH for the Lycan capacity, just to get a rough estimate, and it generally is pretty close. The Lycan AC shuts off at around 2 - 3%. That's the real advantage of the Li-iron. You can use it all! (almost). It would take almost a 200AH 12V SLA to get the same amount of usable power in a day (without damaging the battery).

I think the Lycan is a bargain at the sale price. I use the AC ports, 12V ports, the USB ports, the SLA charger, the external Li-iron and even the cigarette lighter port. I plugged in one of those 60 Watt Type C adapters in, and that upgrades the  Lycan to have available every connector for AC or DC charging in wide use today. With the ability to drive up to 1000W of load for up to an hour in a 60 pound package on wheels, nothing out there comes close. If you or anybody else out there has a specific test that I can run for you (without burning my house down ;) ), I will try to do it.Sorry, I got carried away and forgot to answer the two questions: Cost - get the batteries off eBay (sold by Renogy there) for about $500. "Maxed out" = no. I might not be willing to intentionally stress it at 1000 watts. But I run several hundred watts of computers all the time. The fan does get loud. And the voltage is only 109-110, but other than that, it has been all good. 

Posted by raydas

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:38pm

Thanks mediadogg, you are at system setup that I eventually want to get too. My approach, nickle and diming, would probably become a very expensive venture. So, yes this Lycan Powerbox is sounding more reasonable by the minute. And thanks for your detailed explanation.

I basically have a Dell T30, using it as a server, and a WD MyCloud with 4 x 10TB drives, that are running 24x7 off of AC power, would like to get those running off of sunlight.

Can you have the Lycan plugged into the AC and the solar panels, at the same time, and have the Lycan figure out which one to use as a charging source. The reason for something like that, days are getting shorter, and here, having more cloudy and heavy overcast, with snow days arriving soon, it would be nice to have the AC as backup source, for when there is not enough sunlight.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:38pm raydas said:

Thanks mediadogg, you are at system setup that I eventually want to get too. My approach, nickle and diming, would probably become a very expensive venture. So, yes this Lycan Powerbox is sounding more reasonable by the minute. And thanks for your detailed explanation.

I basically have a Dell T30, using it as a server, and a WD MyCloud with 4 x 10TB drives, that are running 24x7 off of AC power, would like to get those running off of sunlight.

Can you have the Lycan plugged into the AC and the solar panels, at the same time, and have the Lycan figure out which one to use as a charging source. The reason for something like that, days are getting shorter, and here, having more cloudy and heavy overcast, with snow days arriving soon, it would be nice to have the AC as backup source, for when there is not enough sunlight.

Yes, as I stated above, I have the Lycan  plugged into AC and solar all the time. Its just that my AC happens to come from another small solar setup. But that doesn't matter. Both are always charging. The only way to cause it to stop using the AC is either with a timer switch or something like the MOES, or even the CC load port which has a timer function. Just set it up to turn on a relay to power the AC charger a couple of hours before the sun goes down. The Lycan does have to be manually reset if it ever shuts off due to low battery.

Now, I couldn't resist. I went and got my wife's 1000W hair dryer and an old window AC, crossed my fingers and cranked them up thru a Kill-A-Watt. The hair dryer maxed out at 825 watts and the Lycan did not blink. The AC, on max cool / max fan was running 425 watts. I was careful to bring the AC up to speed in stages. No huge surge on high power. What would be the point of trashing my Lycan for a test.

So then, I went ahead and turned on the hair dryer. 1287 watts total, and the Lycan never blinked. I only let it go for a few minutes, but there is part of your answer. The box started at 100%, and was down to 95% when I stopped. It was only for less than 10 minutes total. I did leave it running with the AC while I went upstairs to fetch the dryer. So, lets say 5 min at 425 watts and 2 min at 1287 watts = about 4500 watt-minutes = 75WH. If 75WH is 5%, then 100% = 20 x 75 = 1500WH. Very unscientific, but remarkably close to specs. I promise you I did the calculations off the top of my head in real time as I was typing this. Take it for what it's worth.

Posted by tattoo

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:14pm

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01pm mediadogg said:

Now, I couldn't resist. I went and got my wife's 1000W hair dryer and an old window AC, crossed my fingers and cranked them up thru a Kill-A-Watt. The hair dryer maxed out at 825 watts and the Lycan did not blink. The AC, on max cool / max fan was running 425 watts. I was careful to bring the AC up to speed in stages. No huge surge on high power. What would be the point of trashing my Lycan for a test.

Was your Lycan still hooked up to your house AC power when you did the test?

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:16pm

tattoo Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:14pm tattoo said:

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01pm mediadogg said:

Was your Lycan still hooked up to your house AC power when you did the test?

No. It was totally off-grid and running on its internal battery. This was the new box, so I didn't have to disturb my setup. I just wheeled into the room with the AC and ran the test.

Posted by raydas

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:55pm

I just did a quick read of the manual, and I noticed it mentioning an RJ45 Port, and they have a cable that goes with it. But I did not see any write up for it. Any idea for what or how that would be used. I guess plug into an eithernet switch and see if it comes up as an accessible unit.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:00pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:55pm raydas said:

I just did a quick read of the manual, and I noticed it mentioning an RJ45 Port, and they have a cable that goes with it. But I did not see any write up for it. Any idea for what or how that would be used. I guess plug into an eithernet switch and see if it comes up as an accessible unit.

I suggest a more careful read. And I even mentioned it just a couple of posts ago. You mean you would actually risk plugging it into something before simply reading the manual?

By the way, I tried a second air conditioner,, with almost the same steady state wattage requirement, about 450 watts, however the initial surge current was vastly higher than the first AC I tried, and it tripped the overload protection of the Lycan, which reset itself after a few seconds. It was too fast to be noticed on the Kill-A-Watt, but heavy enough so that the room lights blinked when on grid power. Guess I got lucky on the first one. The second unit has a much higher BTU rating, but it is also ECO, so I would surmise that a more powerful compressor would take more initial current, but due to efficient "ECO" design, its running wattage is no more than an older unit with less cooling power. Just my theory.

Posted by raydas

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:24am

I missed RJ45, XT90 and external battery connection in the manual. Does that mean the battery itself has to have an XT90 and RJ45 connection built in. I did not see, on the Renogy site, any cables that could be used to attach to the battery, that would then attach to the XT90 and RJ45. I think the manual also mentions that you could use an SLA battery.

mediadogg, what version of the Lycan do you have? The reason I ask, I went to ebay, and there is a listing for a Lycan, but it looks like it has some differences from the one that Renogy has on sale today. I wonder if Renogy is getting ready to introduce a new model.

RENOGY LYCAN POWERBOX -- SOLAR POWER GENERATOR

Maximum Power: 300W
Maximum Power Point Tracking Charge Controller
1200W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2 x 12V DC Output
3 x 110V AC Output
3 x 2.4A USB Port Output
1 x 1A USB Port Output
Dimensions: 14.5 X 13.4 X 11.8Inches
Weight: 55lbs
Method of Cooling: Fan
RENOGY LYCAN POWERBOX LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY

Type: Lithium Iron Phosphate
Battery Voltage: 44.8V
Battery Capacity: 24Ah
Cycle Life: 2000 Cycles to 80% Capacity
5-7 Year Lifespan
100% Discharge Ability

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:27am

A new version? Now THAT would be interesting, especially if they put some of the stuff in that I want. I bought my first one during the crowd funding campaign as an early adopter. I bought my second off eBay. They appear to be absolutely identical in form and function. The product ships with everything you need, You don't need to buy any cables or attach anything. If you buy a spare battery, it comes with the RJ45 and XT90 cables required for external attachment. The Lycan ships with a kits of various cables for attaching solar panels, charging from an auto cigarette lighter port, and charging an external SLA battery. It comes with everything.

And there are pictures and explanations of most of what I just said in this manual. See pages 5, 6 and 7.

The only mods that I have made are (1) the Type C / USB 3.0 cigarette lighter adapter I mentioned, and (2) I made my own solar panel attachment cable. The Renogy one is so thick and heavy that I couldn't use it in my setup. So I made a more flexible cable, still sized quite well enough to handle the current.

Posted by raydas

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:46am

One of the reasons that I would need something like a Lycan, is to power the sump pump that is in the basement. The sump pump is a 1/3 HP, 110AC model. When it is raining outside, it does turn on quite often. You don't happen to have a sump pump in your basement? I am wondering how a Lycan would work with a 1/3 HP sump pump, that turns on quite often, for test run of 24 hours. I could probably plug the Lycan into an AC outlet, but during a power outage, it would have to depend on the battery.

Posted by raydas

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:07am

If somebody could verify this for me, in the Lycan manual, page 5, the details picture, front main panel, it shows 4 110AC outlets. But in the product description it specifies 3 110AC outlets. So which one do you get.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:29am

raydas Avatar

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:07am raydas said:

If somebody could verify this for me, in the Lycan manual, page 5, the details picture, front main panel, it shows 4 110AC outlets. But in the product description it specifies 3 110AC outlets. So which one do you get.

Interesting. Anyways, I am definitely staring at 4 in front of me right now.  :)This was originally a crowd funding thing, so they definitely went through some design rework that could have easily caused a mismatch in the print material that nobody caught before full production.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:37am

raydas Avatar

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:46am raydas said:

One of the reasons that I would need something like a Lycan, is to power the sump pump that is in the basement. The sump pump is a 1/3 HP, 110AC model. When it is raining outside, it does turn on quite often. You don't happen to have a sump pump in your basement? I am wondering how a Lycan would work with a 1/3 HP sump pump, that turns on quite often, for test run of 24 hours. I could probably plug the Lycan into an AC outlet, but during a power outage, it would have to depend on the battery.

I don't have one, but I have a good friend that does. Based on his experiences (and we talked a lot about his backup system as he was building it), and my exxperience with the Lycan, I would NOT recommend the Lycan for that application, for the following reasons:

(1) Sump pumps take a huge surge on startup. We all saw this with my second AC experiment, how the Lycan would not take the surge, even though it could easily handle the running rate of less than 500 watts. My friend discovered this, even though we had carefully picked out industrial strength inverter / ATS and a huge battery. His sump pump tripped the breaker on startup, and we had to use a bigger inverter.

(2) The Lycan needs to be manually reset whenever it gets unhappy. There is no remote control, wired or wireless, my main issue with its design. You do not want to be away from home, with water in your basement, with the Lycan shut down and not being able to restart it.

Those are my opinions, based on experience. Sorry for the bad news.

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:48am

Now that Renogy is making some inverter / chargers with built-in ATS, you might want to start looking at those. Add a big battery, and a solar hookup for icing on the cake. Along with some kind of remote alarm or camera, which most people with sump pumps have, one of those inverter / charger / ATS units with a massive deep cycle battery, is a pretty reliable way to go with modern technology.

I am salivating over monsters like this. Would have made my life a lot simpler if I had this kind of capacity, quality, features and price in one package, a few years ago when I started building my systems. Oh well ... 

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:50am

Couple of interesting pics:

Lycan Li-iron Battery Label

Lycan External Battery Connection

Posted by raydas

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:30pm

I am now looking into the Renogy 2000W inverter/charger, to bad it does not have a built in mppt CC. I wonder how many AC outlets you could wire up and still be functional. The interesting part is how to calculate how much battery power you would need, plus expansion.

Posted by Admin

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:41pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:24am raydas said:

I missed RJ45, XT90 and external battery connection in the manual. Does that mean the battery itself has to have an XT90 and RJ45 connection built in. I did not see, on the Renogy site, any cables that could be used to attach to the battery, that would then attach to the XT90 and RJ45. I think the manual also mentions that you could use an SLA battery.

mediadogg, what version of the Lycan do you have? The reason I ask, I went to ebay, and there is a listing for a Lycan, but it looks like it has some differences from the one that Renogy has on sale today. I wonder if Renogy is getting ready to introduce a new model.

RENOGY LYCAN POWERBOX -- SOLAR POWER GENERATOR

Maximum Power: 300W
Maximum Power Point Tracking Charge Controller
1200W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2 x 12V DC Output
3 x 110V AC Output
3 x 2.4A USB Port Output
1 x 1A USB Port Output
Dimensions: 14.5 X 13.4 X 11.8Inches
Weight: 55lbs
Method of Cooling: Fan
RENOGY LYCAN POWERBOX LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY

Type: Lithium Iron Phosphate
Battery Voltage: 44.8V
Battery Capacity: 24Ah
Cycle Life: 2000 Cycles to 80% Capacity
5-7 Year Lifespan
100% Discharge Ability

There will be only 1 Lycan version. As for your question the LFP battery will need both cables to hook up to the Lycan, not the external SLA one.

Posted by Admin

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:43pm

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:48am mediadogg said:

Now that Renogy is making some inverter / chargers with built-in ATS, you might want to start looking at those. Add a big battery, and a solar hookup for icing on the cake. Along with some kind of remote alarm or camera, which most people with sump pumps have, one of those inverter / charger / ATS units with a massive deep cycle battery, is a pretty reliable way to go with modern technology.

I am salivating over monsters like this. Would have made my life a lot simpler if I had this kind of capacity, quality, features and price in one package, a few years ago when I started building my systems. Oh well ... 

We have come out with a newer unit:

www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-w-lcd-display/

Posted by Admin

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:44pm

raydas Avatar

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:30pm raydas said:

I am now looking into the Renogy 2000W inverter/charger, to bad it does not have a built in mppt CC. I wonder how many AC outlets you could wire up and still be functional. The interesting part is how to calculate how much battery power you would need, plus expansion.

We are exploring inverter chargers with solar integration. At the moment, we just have a 50A DCDC with alternator/starter battery and solar integration.

www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50a-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:45am

Question for Renogy Team or Admin:

Can this 48V Li-iron charger be used to charge the Lycan external battery?

Posted by Admin

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:31pm

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:45am mediadogg said:

Question for Renogy Team or Admin:

Can this 48V Li-iron charger be used to charge the Lycan external battery?

This will not work, the 48V internal Lycan batteries requires a communication port.

-Renogy Team

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:48am

Really appreciate the support. I now have another question.

As the charging port for both solar PV and 12V auto are the same, does that mean that Lycan can accept a DC voltage at that port up to the maximum specified solar VOC (I think 50V)? I know there is an MPPT controller that manages the solar PV input. Is there logic that actually switches the MPPT in or out depending on whether the input is above expected cigarette lighter plug voltage (12 - 14V)?

In other words, can I safely charge Lycan with a DC input other than the cigarette lighter adapter as long as the voltage is below 50V (if not 50, then what)?

Posted by Admin

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:49am

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:48am mediadogg said:

As the charging port for both solar PV and 12V auto are the same, does that mean that Lycan can accept a DC voltage at that port up to the maximum specified solar VOC (I think 50V)? I know there is an MPPT controller that manages the solar PV input. Is there logic that actually switches the MPPT in or out depending on whether the input is above expected cigarette lighter plug voltage (12 - 14V)?

In other words, can I safely charge Lycan with a DC input other than the cigarette lighter adapter as long as the voltage is below 50V (if not 50, then what)?

There will be voltage thresholds that influences the MPPT logic.

CIG charging 10.8 ~ 14.4 VDC
PV charging 14.4 ~ 72V VDC

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:42am

Admin Avatar

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:49am Admin said:

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:48am mediadogg said:

There will be voltage thresholds that influences the MPPT logic.

CIG charging 10.8 ~ 14.4 VDC
PV charging 14.4 ~ 72V VDC

Wonderful info. I can control that. It will be very useful to be able to add some juice from another source, known to be under 14V, sometimes. Lycan Rocks!!!!

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:57pm

I am currently using 3 of these (SKU: RNG-100D-SS-BC) to charge my Lycan, which leads to 63 Voc. Maximum wattage I have seen where the panels are located is less than 250W. I was thinking of adding a fourth panel to get closer to the 300W maximum charging rate for the Lycan. But that would bring the Voc above 72V.

So my plan is to run 4 x (SKU: RNG-100D-SS-BC) as 2 x parallel of (2 x series), for a Voc of 42V and current between 10 and 12A. In best case, I might generate a tad over 300W, but the Lycan will simply ignore that excess for that short period of time.

Admin, do you agree that my plan is safe to use with Lycan?

Posted by mediadogg

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:46pm

mediadogg Avatar

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:57pm mediadogg said:

I am currently using 3 of these (SKU: RNG-100D-SS-BC) to charge my Lycan, which leads to 63 Voc. Maximum wattage I have seen where the panels are located is less than 250W. I was thinking of adding a fourth panel to get closer to the 300W maximum charging rate for the Lycan. But that would bring the Voc above 72V.

So my plan is to run 4 x (SKU: RNG-100D-SS-BC) as 2 x parallel of (2 x series), for a Voc of 42V and current between 10 and 12A. In best case, I might generate a tad over 300W, but the Lycan will simply ignore that excess for that short period of time.

Adding another question over the weekend. Hopefully, I will hear back on both items later in the week:

Second question: Is it possible to connect the RJ45 connected cable to an ethernet switch? In other words, are the protocols and signal levels compatible, so that no equipment damage occurs? I am thinking about mounting the internal battery externally, and designing a soft-switch that would smoothly and silently switch between the two batteries. I understand the XT-90 connection, but I would need more information on the RJ45 connection. I would not have to consider this if the Renogy technical team would please respond to my long-standing request to describe the circuitry of the battery A-B switch, which already does exactly what I need it to do - albeit manually. I want to be able to do that - electronically.

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:55pm

Oh no ... guess the honeymoon is over.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:45pm

mediadogg Avatar

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:55pm mediadogg said:

Oh no ... guess the honeymoon is over.

It happens to the best of us............ LOL

Posted by Admin

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:11pm

mediadogg Avatar

I apologize for the delayed response. If you haven't done so already, the regulating amperage will actually be 6A. While the input is 12A charging, this is multiple device charging. So 6A will be the max that you get out of this mppt transform.

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:59pm

Admin Avatar

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:11pm Admin said:

mediadogg Avatar

I apologize for the delayed response. If you haven't done so already, the regulating amperage will actually be 6A. While the input is 12A charging, this is multiple device charging. So 6A will be the max that you get out of this mppt transform.

Thank you. That explains things. Any response on the second question?
Quoting myself:
"Second question: Is it possible to connect the RJ45 connected cable to an ethernet switch? In other words, are the protocols and signal levels compatible, so that no equipment damage occurs? I am thinking about mounting the internal battery externally, and designing a soft-switch that would smoothly and silently switch between the two batteries. I understand the XT-90 connection, but I would need more information on the RJ45 connection. I would not have to consider this if the Renogy technical team would please respond to my long-standing request to describe the circuitry of the battery A-B switch, which already does exactly what I need it to do - albeit manually. I want to be able to do that - electronically."

Posted by Admin

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:36am

mediadogg Avatar

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:59pm mediadogg said:

Admin Avatar

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:11pm Admin said:

Quoting myself:
"Second question: Is it possible to connect the RJ45 connected cable to an ethernet switch? In other words, are the protocols and signal levels compatible, so that no equipment damage occurs? I am thinking about mounting the internal battery externally, and designing a soft-switch that would smoothly and silently switch between the two batteries. I understand the XT-90 connection, but I would need more information on the RJ45 connection. I would not have to consider this if the Renogy technical team would please respond to my long-standing request to describe the circuitry of the battery A-B switch, which already does exactly what I need it to do - albeit manually. I want to be able to do that - electronically."

Thank you for contacting Renogy, I'm not sure which standing order or ticket you're referring to but if you have a ticket number I would be happy to look at it. What information do you seek about the RJ45?

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:26pm

Admin Avatar

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:36am Admin said:

mediadogg Avatar

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:59pm mediadogg said:

Quoting myself:

Thank you for contacting Renogy, I'm not sure which standing order or ticket you're referring to but if you have a ticket number I would be happy to look at it. What information do you seek about the RJ45?

Could we start with the very question you quoted? Ok, for the third time:

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:35am

Looks like I'm going to have to hook up my scope and examine the RJ45 signals myself. It is clear that Renogy has no intention of helping me understand this. I wish they would just be up front and say "it's proprietary" or "we don't want to tell you" rather than stalling and pretending to not notice the questions that I have repeatedly asked.

Posted by Admin

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:43am

mediadogg Avatar

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:26pm mediadogg said:

Admin Avatar

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:36am Admin said:

We do not have this information available. We can not provide recommendations for this type of setup.

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:37am

Ok, thanks. Now it is clear.

Posted by mediadogg

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:19am

Admin Avatar

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:43am Admin said:

mediadogg Avatar

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:26pm mediadogg said:

"Second question: Is it possible to connect the RJ45 connected cable to an ethernet switch? In other words, are the protocols and signal levels compatible, so that no equipment damage occurs? I am thinking about mounting the internal battery externally, and designing a soft-switch that would smoothly and silently switch between the two batteries. I understand the XT-90 connection, but I would need more information on the RJ45 connection. I would not have to consider this if the Renogy technical team would please respond to my long-standing request to describe the circuitry of the battery A-B switch, which already does exactly what I need it
  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment