Answered

how many hours?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:10pm

I have a 3- 100 watts panels, a 40 amps rover controller and a 100ah lithium phospate battery. I run a dometic fridge- freezer that use 5.6 amps, I know this information because I also have a trimetric meter in my sistem. My question is how many hours my fridge should run with my 100ah battery? Also how come the bigger number that I see in my rover and trimetric meter is 13.1 volts with the battery fully charged ? It is supposed to be like 14. something?

Posted by tattoo

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:07pm

Are you asking how many hours should it run at night with nothing charging the single 100ah battery?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:11pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:07pm tattoo said:

Are you asking how many hours should it run at night with nothing charging the single 100ah battery?

Yes.

Posted by bupkis

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24pm

use your trimetric to determine how many ah it uses in 24 hrs and compare to battery bank.
I assume it uses ~6A while operating but how much does it actually run, consider how often the door is open and the ambient temperature.

A model # might be helpful if dometic has measured daily or annual energy use

You'll need to contact support about the voltage, I have questions of the Li charge profile. Once it reaches charging voltage  what is the charge profile, there is no state time or float v, so does it stop charging till the voltage is below the return to boost voltage? 

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:40am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24pm bupkis said:

use your trimetric to determine how many ah it uses in 24 hrs and compare to battery bank.
I assume it uses ~6A while operating but how much does it actually run, consider how often the door is open and the ambient temperature.

A model # might be helpful if dometic has measured daily or annual energy use

You'll need to contact support about the voltage, I have questions of the Li charge profile. Once it reaches charging voltage  what is the charge profile, there is no state time or float v, so does it stop charging till the voltage is below the return to boost voltage? 

It goes to float after reaching 13.1 volts. The trimetric meter shows tha is using 5.6 amps. I left it running last night and I didn't last. This morning the sistem was death.I think something is wrong. After paying $865.00 for this battery I thought that it would work for more than a few hours.

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:49am

If death means the battery shut down I'd be disconnecting all loads from the battery and following tech support advise how to use solar to revive it.

I'd also be trying to return the controller if it can only charge to 13.1v.

If the fridge uses 6A all the time then the math is easy for a FULL battery, assume you only want to drain 50ah out of your battery, 50 ah / 6a = 8.3 h

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:46am

You need to buy a Kill-A-watt meter.... But a 100ah battery isn't very much.... Like your finding out I really doubt that you can run a fridge all night.. It's a guess because more info is needed I would think that you will need at least 400ah of battery to besafe....

I myself don't like Li batteries... They are way to expensive for the amount of power that you get...... I have way less than $865.00 in my 6, 645ah of batteries.....

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:55am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:46am tattoo said:

You need to buy a Kill-A-watt meter.... But a 100ah battery isn't very much.... Like your finding out I really doubt that you can run a fridge all night.. It's a guess because more info is needed I would think that you will need at least 400ah of battery to besafe....

I myself don't like Li batteries... They are way to expensive for the amount of power that you get...... I have a little more than $865.00 in my 6, 645ah of batteries.....

This sistem is in a vw bus,so the weigh of the battery is crucial. The dometic fridge use 5.6 amps, I can see that with my trimetric meter. Why do I need a kill a watt meter?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:56am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:46am tattoo said:

I myself don't like Li batteries... They are way to expensive for the amount of power that you get...... I have a little more than $865.00 in my 6, 645ah of batteries.....

The only thing that I have running is the dometic fridge using 5.6 amps?

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:05am

model # would be helpful, does the appliance consume 5.6A all the time? Dometic has various fridge/freezers.

5.6A x 24 hr = 135 ah

getting the battery charged to 14+v is imperative.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:24am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:05am bupkis said:

model # would be helpful, does the appliance consume 5.6A all the time? Dometic has various fridge/freezers.

5.6A x 24 hr = 135 ah

Domestic CFX95DZXW is the model number

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:25am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:24am inhabor said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:05am bupkis said:

5.6A x 24 hr = 135 ah

Domestic CFX95DZXW is the model number

Is not even running 8 hrs.

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:26am

Your battery was not full! You need to fix that ASAP

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:17am

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:26am bupkis said:

So why is not charging fully? It stays at 13.1 volts all the time, even after a week of full sun with nothing connect it to it.

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:04am

not sure, contact tech support. they may have you measure voltage at different places to determine is the panels are OK and/or of the controller is operating correctly.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:12am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:25am inhabor said:

You do know that with a 100ah battery you don't have 100ah right? You can't kill your battery every night and expect it to last very long... You have 50ah that you can use 60 at best...

Your battery is to small for what your trying to do...

What else are you running off of the system????

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:14am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:55am inhabor said:

This sistem is in a vw bus,so the weigh of the battery is crucial. The dometic fridge use 5.6 amps, I can see that with my trimetric meter. Why do I need a kill a watt meter?

In a VW bus you say??? Well that's some critical information... Any more info that we need to know to help you....

Ok is the fridge AC or DC??

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:21am

inhabor Avatar

Why do I need a kill a watt meter?

Because it will tell you how many watts your using in a 24 hour period something that your T meter doesn't tell you..... All it tells you is what the draw is not run time etc...... Things you really need to know....

I looks like you spent a lot of money on your solar system and I can understand your frustration...... But I still say your battery is to small for what your trying to run off of it............

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:25am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:12am tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:25am inhabor said:

You do know that with a 100ah battery you don't have 100ah right? You can't kill your battery every night and expect it to last very long... You have 50ah that you can use 60 at best...

Your battery is to small for what your trying to do...

What else are you running off of the system????

[/quotoe]

Nothing else.I wonder why it just charge to 13.1 volts.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:26am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:21am tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Why do I need a kill a watt meter?

Because it will tell you how many watts your using in a 24 hour period something that your T meter doesn't tell you..... All it tells you is what the draw is not run time etc...... Things you really need to know....

I looks like you spent a lot of money on your solar system and I can understand your frustration...... But I still say your battery is to small for what your trying to run off of it............

Both AC and DC.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:29am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:26am inhabor said:

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:21am tattoo said:

Both AC and DC.

Ok thanks, I'm ordering another battery today, but I still want to know why is not charging pass 13.1 volts. I really appreciate your help guys.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:35am

inhabor Avatar

Both AC and DC.

It can't be running on both...... It's one or the other.... What size inverter do you have.....

Tell us what you have in your solar setup and don't leave anything out......

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:37am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:29am inhabor said:

but I still want to know why is not charging pass 13.1 volts. I really appreciate your help guys.

After you let us know what solar you have we might able to give you some insight....

Posted by Admin

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:53am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:17am inhabor said:

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:26am bupkis said:

So why is not charging fully? It stays at 13.1 volts all the time, even after a week of full sun with nothing connect it to it.

For verification purposes, you are on the lithium charging profile correct?

-Renogy Team

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:52am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:37am tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:29am inhabor said:

but I still want to know why is not charging pass 13.1 volts. I really appreciate your help guys.

After you let us know what solar you have we might able to give you some insight....

he has 3x100w in his first post, does that help?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:40am

Admin Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:53am Admin said:

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:17am inhabor said:

-Renogy Team

A description of my solar sistem is in the beginning of the tread and yes the dometic fridge is ac and dc it does recognize what kind of power is connect it to. I guess it has some kind of transfer switch inside.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:41am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:40am inhabor said:

Admin Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:53am Admin said:

-Renogy Team

A description of my solar sistem is in the beginning of the tread and yes the dometic fridge is ac and dc it does recognize what kind of power is connect it to. I guess it has some kind of transfer switch inside.

Yes is in lithium.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:42am

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:35am tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Both AC and DC.

It can't be running on both...... It's one or the other.... What size inverter do you have.....

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:46am

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:42am inhabor said:

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:35am tattoo said:

A description of my solar sistem is in the beginning of the tread and yes the dometic fridge is ac and dc it does recognize what kind of power is connect it to. I guess it has some kind of transfer switch inside. I do not use the power inverter for the fridge. The fridge is connect it directly to the battery.

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:57am

is the battery charging now?

did tech support detail how to test you panels with a volt meter?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:11pm

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:57am bupkis said:

I'm at work now. It should be charged when I get home, but like I said before, just to 13.1 volts. I thought it was normal I have been using it like that for a year but last night was the first time that I run the fridge completely on solar for that long. That's how I noticed that something is wrong.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:40pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:10pm inhabor said:

I have a 3- 100 watts panels, a 40 amps rover controller and a 100ah lithium phospate battery. I run a dometic fridge- freezer that use 5.6 amps, I know this information because I also have a trimetric meter in my sistem. My question is how many hours my fridge should run with my 100ah battery? Also how come the bigger number that I see in my rover and trimetric meter is 13.1 volts with the battery fully charged ? It is supposed to be like 14. something?

Do you have an inverter or is everything running DC? If it's DC is it connected to the load side of the CC or is it connected to the battery? What size battery cables do you have? Do you have any fuses in the system?

Can you tell us more of what you have in your system.....

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:53pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:11pm inhabor said:

I'm at work now. It should be charged when I get home, but like I said before, just to 13.1 volts. I thought it was normal I have been using it like that for a year but last night was the first time that I run the fridge completely on solar for that long. That's how I noticed that something is wrong.

Now were getting some where......

So how and what did you have it hooked to before last night for it to be working so long? How do you know that the voltage is at 13.1 all the time it never drops down? It could be stuck in float mode?

What was the voltage in the battery this morning?

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:43pm

inhabor Avatar

bupkis Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:57am bupkis said:

Renogy people wants me to send the battery back to them

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:49pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:40pm tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:10pm inhabor said:

Do you have an inverter or is everything running DC? If it's DC is it connected to the load side of the CC or is it connected to the battery? What size battery cables do you have? Do you have any fuses in the system?

Since I was rudely interrupted by bird, Can you tell us more of what you have in your system.....

The only thing that I run with the solar is the Dometic fridge. Tha cables are the ones that cane with the 300 amps kit. Yes I do have fuses in the sistem. The guys from Renogy think that the problem is my battery. They also told me tha I should be able to run the fridge for about 15 hrs.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:53pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:53pm tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

So how and what did you have it hooked to before last night for it to be working so long? How do you know that the voltage is at 13.1 all the time it never drops down? It could be stuck in float mode?

So many questions but I will wait on bird to again answer them.......

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:00pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:53pm inhabor said:

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:53pm tattoo said:

So many questions but I will wait on bird to again answer them.......

I now that the voltage is 13.1 because I can see it on the screen of my Rover controller and also on my trimetric meter. The 13.1 volts drop down when I using the battery to power the fridge but when is charging the voltage never goes over 13.1 volts and tha is my concern. This morning everything was off. When I got home from work today the voltage was at 12.1

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:48pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:49pm inhabor said:

The only thing that I run with the solar is the Dometic fridge. Tha cables are the ones that cane with the 300 amps kit. Yes I do have fuses in the sistem. The guys from Renogy think that the problem is my battery. They also told me tha I should be able to run the fridge for about 15 hrs.

Did Renogy think that the battery was the problem with why it won't get above 13.1v..........

So you don't have an AC inverter? Everything is DC? Is your fridge hooked to the load side of the CC or the battery?

What did you have hooked to the system last night before you had the problem? You know when everything was running ok?

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:53pm

inhabor Avatar

The only thing that I run with the solar is the Dometic fridge.

Man those things are expensive...... I hope it works darn good.....

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:41pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:48pm tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Did Renogy think that the battery was the problem with why it won't get above 13.1v..........

So you don't have an AC inverter? Everything is DC? Is your fridge hooked to the load side of the CC or the battery?

What did you have hooked to the system last night before you had the problem? You know when everything was running ok?

Yes, renogy thinks tha the problem can be the battery. They said that I should see 14.6 volts in my rover screen. There's an inverter but the fridge is not connect it to it. I have not use it once. I keep it off. The only thing connect it to the sistem is the Dometic fridge. I just notice the problem because last night was the first time that I left the fridge running using the battery. When I'm not using the bus, she's connect it to the house power like an RV. When I disconnect the cord from the bus the fridge reconize the change and starts working on DC. When I plug the cord the fridge change from DC to AC. All this automaticly.

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:53pm tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

The only thing that I run with the solar is the Dometic fridge.

Man those things are expensive...... I hope it works darn good.....

Yes it does. I don't have to worry about ice anymore.received_10155458373138494.jpeg

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:02pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43pm inhabor said:

Yes it does. I don't have to worry about ice anymore.

Man that is one awesome looking VW............

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:16pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:41pm inhabor said:

When I disconnect the cord from the bus the fridge reconize the change and starts working on DC. When I plug the cord the fridge change from DC to AC. All this automaticly.

Now that is really cool.... I know the fridge switches back and forth from AC to DC...... But is there a device you have that the fridge is hooked to that allows you to hook it up to and it switches back and forth from AC to DC on it's own or do you have a switch? Or is the AC hooked up to a battery charger....

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to learn what kind of system you have.... It sounds interesting....

Posted by inhabor

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:36pm

tattoo Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:16pm tattoo said:

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:41pm inhabor said:

When I disconnect the cord from the bus the fridge reconize the change and starts working on DC. When I plug the cord the fridge change from DC to AC. All this automaticly.

Now that is really cool.... I know the fridge switches back and forth from AC to DC...... But is there a device you have that the fridge is hooked to that allows you to hook it up to and it switches back and forth from AC to DC on it's own or do you have a switch? Or is the AC hooked up to a battery charger....

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to learn what kind of system you have.... It sounds interesting....

The fridge has two cords. One is connec it to the battery and the other one to a braker box inside the bus. I also have a 3000 watts honda generator on the back bumper. The generator and house power are connect it to an automatic transfer switch. I use the generator when bundoking to run the roof ac, cooking pan and to make coffee.

Posted by tattoo

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:26pm

inhabor Avatar

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:36pm inhabor said:

The fridge has two cords. One is connec it to the battery and the other one to a braker box inside the bus. I also have a 3000 watts honda generator on the back bumper. The generator and house power are connect it to an automatic transfer switch. I use the generator when bundoking to run the roof ac, cooking pan and to make coffee.

Man that sounds like an awesome setup you have there....  Thanks for explaining it...

Posted by bupkis

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:02pm

inhabor

the 'questions' section of the web site (scroll down) suggest many hrs on one 100ah battery, apparently the compressors cycle, on answered questions suggest 1.3A/h DC, another suggest 120w of solar ...
www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and-beverage/coolers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx-95dzw-_-145458

glad to see you got tech support on it!

Your trimetric should be able to let you know daily power usage.

Posted by inhabor

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:22am

Ok the friking problem was the Rover controller since new.It was stockon float mode. I installed a new Victron controller along with a battery monitor and boom 14.6 every day. The Dometic just use 22% of the battery power overnight. The battery is back to 100% by 10am. I knew one battery should be enough for what I'm doing, specially after spending a little fortune in it.

Posted by bupkis

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:13pm

Thanks for the follow up, can I assume 22% is for 8hrs and that for a full day ~70% of your 100ah li battery?

Posted by inhabor

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:27pm

bupkis Avatar

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:13pm bupkis said:

Thanks for the follow up, can I assume 22% is for 8hrs and that for a full day ~70% of your 100ah li battery?

Is a 170ah battery. The Dometic is running 24/7, during the day it runs from the solar panels and the battery is fully charged by 10am. When the sun goes down it starts using the power from the battery. I check the % of  the battery every morning around 5AM and is at 78%. It does run more than 8 hours on battery power, about 11 hrs. 

Posted by tattoo

Jun 18, 2019 at 4:40pm

inhabor Avatar

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:27pm inhabor said:

Is a 170ah battery. The Dometic is running 24/7, during the day it runs from the solar panels and the battery is fully charged by 10am. When the sun goes down it starts using the power from the battery. I check the % of  the battery every morning around 5AM and is at 78%. It does run more than 8 hours on battery power, about 11 hrs. 

It sounds like your system is running just fine.... But the % of the battery is useless...... What is the battery voltage in the morning?

Posted by bupkis

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:04pm

Your trimetic % is accurate so 22% overnight is ~45% of 170ah for a day or say ~80ah or ~1000wh, very useful info.

Battery voltage in the morning for a Li battery would be meanless to me as they keep a steady voltage during discharge.

Thank you again for the follow up

Posted by inhabor

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:15pm

I don't have the trimetric anymore. I find out that Victron has way more modern technology.  I can monitor the entire system with my phone. Batteries, panels, power inverter, transfer switch and charger. All the information is sent to my phone via bluetooth. The only thing I'm keeping Renogy is the batteries, panels and DC to DC charger.  Everything else is been replaced with Victron components. 

Posted by inhabor

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:22pm

tattoo Avatar

Jun 18, 2019 at 4:40pm tattoo said:

• Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment