Answered

Charge Controller Question

Thread Summary

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:40pm

I have my system up and running and the charge controller is reading 13.2. It shows that the solar panels are in moon phase even between 10-2 of a sunny day. If the batteries dont need a charge does it reflect this or is my hook up wonky? I followed Create Wondr schematic.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:45pm

It shouldn't show the moon unless it's dark outside....

Posted by Admin

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:19am

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:40pm baleswolf said:

I have my system up and running and the charge controller is reading 13.2. It shows that the solar panels are in moon phase even between 10-2 of a sunny day. If the batteries dont need a charge does it reflect this or is my hook up wonky? I followed Create Wondr schematic.

The moon and charging contradict each other, are you certain that the batteries are charging? Which controller are you referring to?

-Renogy Team

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:48pm

No i do not know if it os charging but the reading remains between 13.2 and 13.3. What might be wrong if it stays in moon setting?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:52pm

The cc is the Renogy Rover 30a mppt

Posted by tattoo

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:04pm

Do you have a voltage meter? If not you need to buy one..... That will tell you if it's charging or not.....

I bet you have something hooked up wrong and it's not charging.... The 13.2 is the voltage in your batteries.....

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:18pm

I have a voltave meter where should i test ( i just followed set up instructions not sure of troubleshooting.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:23pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:18pm baleswolf said:

I have a voltave meter where should i test ( i just followed set up instructions not sure of troubleshooting.

Where the panel wires go into the CC is the easiest place to start.....

Posted by tattoo

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:25pm

Are you sure you have the Pos and the Neg from the panels going to the CC in the right place?? I wonder if you don't have them crossed.....

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:30pm

I traced the wires a second time to be sure that i had everything to follow the schematic. I did have some trouble at the connection points not holding wires (mostly at charge controller).

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:33pm

So if they were switched the worst is that it just doesnt work?

Posted by tattoo

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:23pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:33pm baleswolf said:

So if they were switched the worst is that it just doesnt work?

Well kinda.... Be sure where the Pos is on the panel and the CC... Be sure and keep the batteries hooked up to the CC while working on the panels....

Make sure your connections are tight.... That is a must...

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:39am

Ok i switched the wires but it is overcast and we are expecting rain. It is still reading moon so i will ck whenever the sun comes out.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:34am

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:39am baleswolf said:

Ok i switched the wires but it is overcast and we are expecting rain. It is still reading moon so i will ck whenever the sun comes out.

You should be charging a little even when it's raining..... Mine do...

Unhook the cables coming from the Panels and see what the voltage is with your volt meter....

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:20pm

Ok. I want to start with an apology for my lack of basic knowledge here so please bear with me. Please confirm that if i take a reading on the wires coming from the panels and i get a positive reading that would confirm that i have judged my cables(pos/neg) correctly?
Secondly, i have my positive panel wire coming into a 30a breaker and the neg goes to pv- on the cc. Is there a chance my 30 amp breaker is not good?
Although i get a "20" reading from my panels my cc doesnt detect anything.

Thread Summary

Posted by tattoo

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:32pm

Don't worry about it everyone has to start sometime....

I say your CC is bad if your showing voltage on the Pos and the Neg side of the panel wire ends and the CC isn't showing it.....

Yes the fuse could be bad but you can tell that with the OHM part of the volt meter...

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:51pm

To test the ohms of the breaker where am i touching? My meter does do ohms

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:17pm

Tattoo I get a voltage reading coming into the breaker and going out. Also i tested the pv+ and pv- on the cc and got a reading of 13.17.....?

Posted by tattoo

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:03pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:17pm baleswolf said:

Tattoo I get a voltage reading coming into the breaker and going out. Also i tested the pv+ and pv- on the cc and got a reading of 13.17.....?

That sounds right depending on the sun light..... So your not getting anything going into the batteries?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:13pm

Well thats what i dont know since the charge controller never reads anything but moon phase and when i push the buttons to see what the solar panels are producing it reads 0. I have run my drill and a vacuum and about 5 hours of my 12v cooler so far and the batteries read 13.1 right now.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:40pm

It sounds like it's charging.... I think you have a bad CC...... Can you post a pic of your display on the CC?

Where did you get the CC from?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:31pm

tattoo Avatar

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:40pm tattoo said:

It sounds like it's charging.... I think you have a bad CC...... Can you post a pic of your display on the CC?

I got all my hardware from Renogy on line. I can take a pic tomorrow and post.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:28pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:31pm baleswolf said:

tattoo Avatar

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:40pm tattoo said:

I got all my hardware from Renogy on line. I can take a pic tomorrow and post.

I would call tech support tomorrow if I were you... They can tell you if you need to return it....  Good luck....

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:22am

Here they are.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:09pm

I say your CC is bad what did Tech support say?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:20pm

So far havent been able to connect with anyone.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:33pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:20pm baleswolf said:

So far havent been able to connect with anyone.

Yea It's tough to get a hold of anyone there to talk to.... You hardly see them here anymore.... Just like to old forum...

Keep trying you will get them sooner or later.... Don't bother leaving your name for them to call you back they never do....

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:36pm

Ok i just got a message from them and they said it does sound kike the cc and so I called back cust serv and they are sending shipping label. YEAH!

Posted by tattoo

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:15pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:36pm baleswolf said:

Ok i just got a message from them and they said it does sound kike the cc and so I called back cust serv and they are sending shipping label. YEAH!

AWESOME!!!!! Just as I thought......

Let us know how it turns out?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:44pm

I absolutely will. Thank you so very much for you assistance :)

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:22pm

Hmmmm. They say the charge controller checked out :(

Posted by tattoo

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:30pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:22pm baleswolf said:

Hmmmm. They say the charge controller checked out :(

So why is it showing the moon during the day time? Did they give you a reason?

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:35pm

No I just got an email saying it checked out. Im going to try and see if I can go up to Ontario on tuesday so they can look at the problem.

Posted by tattoo

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:20pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:35pm baleswolf said:

No I just got an email saying it checked out. Im going to try and see if I can go up to Ontario on tuesday so they can look at the problem.

Got ya.... Hope they can figure it out...

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:32am

Tattoo I did it! Obviously it was my wiring issue but the process made me learn more. Damn that feels good!!

Posted by baleswolf

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:36am

Heres the proof!

Posted by tattoo

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:15pm

baleswolf Avatar

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:32am baleswolf said:

Tattoo I did it! Obviously it was my wiring issue but the process made me learn more. Damn that feels good!!

You can never learn to much about Solar..... And yes learning more does make you feel good....

Posted by solar101

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:37pm

Baleswolf fixed his wire problem with the moon is on, and it is charging but the moon is still on, can anyone help me.

Posted by mediadogg

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:27am

Oops, seems like I was answering an old post.

1 person has this question
  • Detailed Answer above

Login or Signup to post a comment